Thursday, August 24, 2017

Okayama


Okayama is a city about 2 hours north of me by bullet train. It's in between Hiroshima and Osaka, which are two places I'm planning to visit in the upcoming months. I packed my suitcase for a 4 day, 3 night trip and boarded an early train from Orio Station. I had a unique opportunity to attend a training session for English Teachers. Like with all of my other adventures here in Japan, I ended up gaining so much more than what I was expecting to.

Not only was I able to practice and learn new teaching techniques, I also learned so much about myself. Through conversations over dinner and drinks, I learned more about my dreams, desires, and past decisions I've made. The conversations were filled with honesty and they weren't always comfortable. They pushed me outside of my comfort zone and helped me address topics I've always wanted to talk to about but have been too shy to do so. 

I won't go into any more detail because I'm still processing everything that this trip gave me. The last thing I will say is that I'm unbelievably grateful for the people I met; the insight I gained into myself and my future career; and for the undeclared mentor who helped me realize it all.

Here's how I spent my trip . . . 


Shinkansen Platform, Kokura Station


Okayama Station


Okayama Station


Starbucks Tall Latte

Honest: My relationship with Starbucks is changing. I used to choose Starbucks over everything else without question. Now though, I'm finding myself looking for other options. I think we're going through a breakup and it kind of breaks my heart. 


Seminar Event Hall, Okayama City

Honest: The seminars were informative and extremely helpful, but I found myself more interested in the aspect of how this event was coordinated. Whatever I do in the future, I want 'event coordinator' to be a role or title that I hold. 


Assorted Sashimi Platter

Honest: I could eat sashimi for every meal. It's my favorite Japanese food.


Japanese Izakaiya


Daiwa Roynet Hotel, Okayama Station

Honest: Sleeping on a real bed was one of the highlights of this trip. 


Okayama Castle Grounds


Okayama Castle Grounds

Quote for the trip: "Anyone who ever gave you confidence, you owe them a lot." 
- Truman Capote, Breakfast at Tiffany's 


Okayama Castle


Okayama Castle Grounds


Worthwhile advice from the streets of Okayama


Okayama City


Shinkansen Platform, Okayama Station


Honest: When I moved to Japan I made a decision to build a monochromatic wardrobe. I haven't deviated from my plan. Everything I own can be interchanged. It's a wonderful feeling. What's even better ... most of my wardrobe is from UNIQLO. Like this outfit above, it's head to toe UNIQLO, and an all black Long Champ bag.