Sunday, August 7, 2016

Weekend Recap: August 6th and 7th





Saturday, August 6, 2016 - Today was the first day of the English Camp. C and I traveled into Fukuoka City on an early train and weren't quite sure what to expect. This was our first English Camp to work since becoming ALT's.





The first day was a success! We all survived and had a great time. But, gosh ... we were exhausted! 
When I got back to my apartment all I wanted to was crawl into bed. I quickly prepared for the next day: 
  • repacked my backpack
  • made my lunch
  • filled my water bottle up
  • showered
  • laid out my clothes
And then the real task began ... packing for AMERICA. 



Sunday, August 7, 2016 - Good morning! I woke up later than I planned. I must have hit my snooze without realizing it. My alarm was scheduled to go off at 4:45 am. That would give me enough time to double check everything and make a cup of coffee. I wanted to take the 5:14 am train into Fukuoka City so I could check my luggage into my hotel. Unfortunately, I didn't wake up until 5:13 am. I hustled out the door and was able to make the 6:06 am flight. I was pretty impressed with myself. 




Heading to Orio Station



Orio Station





Once I arrived at Hakata Station I stored my bag in a locker, picked up breakfast, and stopped at Starbucks, before boarding my train to the English Camp. 



Day 2 was even better than Day 1! The kids had warmed up to one another and were all smiles. I could not have been happier with the outcome. Everyone had a great time. We'll be repeating this same camp model at the end of the summer. This camp went really well, but round 2 should be even better.



Fukuoka City

Everyone went their separate ways after the camp. I headed to Hakata Station to check into my hotel.
The hotel staff was extremely helpful. I explained to them that I would be flying out on an early flight and they helped me find the best transportation option. They called the taxi for me and made my reservation. It was a great help --- a check off my to-do list.  


Lookout Platform at the top of Hakata Station

Once I settled in and took a short nap, I went out exploring. Hakata Station was right across the street. I went and window shopped. I also ventured up to the top of the building and found the roof top terrace. It was unbelievable. There were sitting areas, a lookout platform, a shrine, and a huge garden. I'm excited to see it in the day time. It's the perfect place for brining a book and a cup of coffee. The view was amazing, too!



Shrine at the top of Hakata Station

Tomorrow morning I'll head to the airport and start my journey to the States. I'm really excited! But, I'm really happy that I'm only going for vacation. I'm glad I still have all of this to come back to.