Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Summer Sixteen: FUK to DFW

Monday, August 8, 2016 - 

Fukuoka Airport (FUK) to Tokyo Narita Airport (NRT)
Tokyo Narita Airport (NRT) to Dallas/Fort Worth Airport (DFW)



This morning I woke up, showered, packed, and headed down to check out and meet my taxi.  My taxi showed up right on time and took me to Fukuoka Airport. My driver was so nice. He tried to use as much English as possible and I did the same in Japanese. He told me that he visited America 20 years ago ... LA and Disney Land. When we arrived at the airport - arimasu - he helped me with my luggage and taught me how to say "See you later!" in Japanese - mata ne. I headed towards the doors only to find that the airport was closed. It didn't open until 5:30. There was a small group of Japanese people outside and they over heard me mutter, "Too early." They then repeated, "Too early" back to me. We all laughed and got comfortable. In true Japanese fashion the doors were opened early ... 5:26. We made our way inside and formed a line at the Japan Airlines International counter.




Check-in was not until 6:00 -- I still say, "Better early than late."  

Check in, security, and the shuttle ride to the tarmac went smoothly. I found my seat and was asleep right away. The flight from Fukuoka to Tokyo is about 2 hours. 







Arriving in Tokyo was so exciting! I love airports. I'm not kidding. I love airports!  I followed the signs and made it to security, customs, and immigration. Since I am a resident of Japan now, I had to fill out a special form that allows me to return to the country using my current visa. 





I checked into the American Airline Admiral's Club and settled in for my 8 hour lay-over. Once again, I love airports so this was a treat. The club is unbelievable.



  • wifi
  • lounge seats
  • showers
  • magazines, newspapers
  • computers
  • food & drinks
  • wine, draft beer, shots ...


Seriously, I will never travel internationally without lounge access ever again.



In the afternoon I ventured out and explored the airport . . . so much fun!
I walked through the Tax-Free stores and picked up a few small things.

I loved my afternoon in the lounge. I really didn't want to leave. 


Flight Necessities: water and matcha kit kat bars 




The flight from NRT to DFW was a little over 11 hours. I had a window seat and had the best seatmate. They were a foreign exchange student traveling to the US to study Economics and Finance. We had so much to talk about. We shared magazines, snacks, and both experienced "culture shock". It was the best time. 


I arrived to DFW in the late afternoon. Coming off the plane I headed to Immirgartion and Customs ... boy oh boy. It took a good while before I made it through successfully. It was so exciting to walk through the exit doors and be greeted by my family.

Let summer vacation begin!