Sunday, November 13, 2016

Weekly Update & Weekend Recap: Language Goals



M o n d a y -
Coffee. School. Gym. Dinner.

T u e s d a y -
Exceptionally fun school day. Some of the students were learning how to have a telephone conversation based on the dialogue in the text book. I had a great time "pretending" to speak on the phone with them. I even printed out paper cell phones for us to use.

W e d n e s d a y -
Coffee. School. Gym. Dinner.

T h u r s d a y -
Coffee. School. Gym. Dinner.
Highlight of the day: Cleaning with grade 3 students. We swept, we wiped, we laughed.

F r i d a y -
Coffee. School. Dinner. Tennis Club.
Highlights of the day: 1) Lunch with grade 3. We had conversations about weekend plans and future dreams. I learned that one student wants to be an architect and design houses. 2) Finding out that my tennis friends, S & K, are engaged and will be married later this month.


S a t u r d a y -
In the morning I played tennis at Katsuki Central Park. Coach A and I played doubles against, M and H. We had the omni court for 2.5 hours. The weather was sunny and warm. I was actually hot --- well, I was really overdressed. 

After tennis I came back to my apartment and got ready to meet up with some friends for coffee. We all planned to get together at the coffee shop near our gym, since the gym in what brought us together.

Over coffee and cocoa we had great conversation. L is from Korea and speaks: Korean, Japanese, and English. He is here in Japan working on his graduate degree in the field of IT and telecommunications. K is from Japan and speaks Japanese, Korean, and English. Her dream is to work for Korean Airlines.

They're both such accomplished individuals.

I had a great time talking with them and I was inspired to study Japanese harder. I'm thankful for them.


S u n d a y -
I just love Sunday's.

I love sleeping in, making coffee, and enjoying a full breakfast meal.

This morning I had fig yogurt with bananas, a cafe latte, and miso eggs. I cleaned my apartment and did a few chores. And I also chatted over FaceTime with my brother.

In the afternoon I headed to Kurosaki for my weekly Japanese Lesson. Today was an exceptionally good day! The language is slowly starting to come together. In terms of completing a puzzle, I'm beginning to piece together the border. It might not sound like much, but trust me, I'm making progress.

B didn't come to class today so I was forced to interact with the other class members. It's unbelievably rewarding because it pushes me out of my comfort zone and makes me converse. I made a new friend today ... H. They're from Indonesia and have passed their N3 proficiency test. They studied for 2 years before taking the exam, which they took twice before passing. Once again, I was in awe of someone and felt my motivation for learning the language increase.

I'm happy to say that I know what I'm working towards now ... I have language goals.

After class I went straight to the gym. I did a leg circuit and a short run on the treadmill. It was a simple workout, but my legs were shaky afterwards.

. . . Joining the Japanese Conversation Table has been by far one of the best things I've done since coming to Japan. It's something I look forward to every week.


Happy Veterans Day

I'm thankful for all the men and women who serve our country, and I'm especially thankful for my father, a retired Air Force fighter pilot. Being a part of a military family has given me more than I'll ever know. I'm proud to say it's a major part of who I am.