Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Thanksgiving 2016

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Spending the Thanksgiving holiday overseas in Japan felt foreign to say the least. Instead of spending the day with my family, talking, reminiscing, and sharing what we're thankful for while indulging in dish after dish; I was at  junior high school #2 teaching English to my students. To curb the slight homesickness I was experiencing, I FaceTimed with my family and cooked sweet potatoes for dinner. 

Weirdly enough, I felt more "thankful" during Thanksgiving this year than I have in Thanksgiving's in the past. Living in Japan as a foreigner has given me a new perspective on what it means to be an American, and how truly fortunate I am.

Japan is changing me and shaping me in more ways than I realize. I'm thankful for my time here and all that it's allowing me to experience. 

So here's my list of what I'm thankful for ...
There are explanations behind every one of these points, but I'm keeping them to myself.