Friday, February 24, 2017

Happy Valentine's Day


Valentine's Day is celebrated in Japan, but it's a little different. Instead of anyone giving gifts to people they like, love, admire, are thankful for ... etc., girls give chocolates to boys. There is a day in March called 'White Day' where boys return the gesture. They give girls white chocolate gifts. 

It was really interesting to learn about their cultural traditions. In return, I explained what many American's do on Valentine's Day and they were so surprised. They enjoyed hearing about couples going on dinner and movie dates, teachers getting gifts from their students, boys and girls exchanging Valentine's cards ... etc. It was all new information to them.

So I was happy that on Tuesday, February 14th I was spending the day with one of my favorite groups of students. They had a speech presentation to give in English that day. When they handed me their paper, I gave them a heart shaped Valentine sticker. You should have seen their reaction when they thought that I was giving them chocolate. Some of them looked panicked, but I put them at ease when I explained that they were just stickers and that they were for everyone.

Valentine's Day was by far one of my best school days this year.

[Insert story of my Valentine's day gift.]


P.S. Thank you to my family and friends who sent Valentine's Day cards. Thank you for thinking of me!