Monday, July 24, 2017

Meetings in Fukuoka


Tenjin Central Park, Fukuoka, Japan

What a day.

I left my apartment at 6:30 this morning and headed to Orio Station. I took a local train into Hakata and arrived at about 8:20. Side note, I use the website HyperDia to check train times and plan my routes anytime I have a trip. The website is user friendly and completely accurate. I definitely would recommend it to anyone traveling around Japan. 


Hakata Station, Fukuoka, Japan

The reason I was traveling into Fukuoka is because I had two company meetings to attend. The first one was scheduled for 10:30 and it would cover information about upcoming camps I would be attending. The second meeting was an ongoing training session for elementary and junior high school teachers. Even though this training didn't involve the ALTs from my own branch, I requested to attend it because I actually enjoy going to training events. I'll take any opportunity where I can improve my teaching and communication skills.


Since I arrived into the city about 2 hours early, I had plenty of time to walk around and explore. Like usual, I turned this into an adventure and began to wonder. I walked from Hakata Station to the company office in Tenjin. The walk isn't bad. It's only about 1.2 miles. I enjoy walking, but if I'm ever rushed there is a subway line I can take, and taxis that are always around. I'm glad I chose to walk this morning because I stumbled across multiple temples I had never seen. They were breathtaking. I took advantage of them not being crowded with people and took my time walking through them. They're incredibly peaceful. I love that the temples can be found in the middle of a bustling city. It's a neat juxtaposition.















Eventually I made my way to the building where the company office is. I love visiting the Fukuoka Branch Office because there is a huge Starbucks right across the street. I popped in this morning and ordered a tall cafe late. I had about 20 minutes to sit and use the wifi before I headed up to the meeting room.


New Starbucks Frappuccino flavors

It's really nice not being a new ALT. I don't have nearly as many problems navigating my way around. Sure, I still rely heavily on Google Maps, directions, and landmarks, but I have a much better sense and understanding of my surroundings.


Both of the meetings went well, but I really enjoyed the training session. I learned some new techniques of how to help engage the students in the lessons, and also how to manage classroom activities. I'm looking forward to trying these in the upcoming term.


Tenjin, Fukuoka, Japan

The training session didn't end until about 5. I was hungry and mentally drained, so I decided to pass on window shopping around Tenjin and head to a restaurant called Bills. Next time I'm in Fukuoka though, there's a store called Muji that I want to visit. It's a lifestyle brand that makes everything from furniture to clothing. I'm looking forward to seeing their products in person. I found out about them through an article in The Japan Times that said how Muji is planning to build a hotel in Ginz around the time of the 2020 Olympics. The Muji style seems to be focused on utility and minimalism which are two concepts I greatly appreciate. I can already tell that I'm going to be shopping at this store in the future.



Let me gush about this restaurant called Bills for a second. I'm obsessed. This morning when I was walking to the office I passed a building that caught my eye. When I ventured closer I realized that it housed two different restaurants. The one I was interested in was called Bills. The menu was stunning ... it looked like what I would picture if Whole Foods had it's own restaurant. Everything seemed so fresh and familiar. When I found out they served ricotta pancakes with bananas and lavender honeycomb butter, I knew I had to eat there at some point. 


Cafe Latte at Bills

So, I came back in the evening. I sat in a corner booth and ordered a cafe latte and ricotta hotcakes. It was such an amazing meal. Both my meal and the restaurant were asthetically pleasing. The decor actually reminded me a lot of the textile designer Jonathan Adler. He has a store in Dallas, Texas, USA that I love visiting. He's like a modern Andy Warhol. I like how he makes simple things seem bold. Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that Bills is a beautiful restaurant. I'm telling you, I'm obsessed.


Bills' ricotta hotcakes with bananas and lavender honeycomb butter.

Once I finished my meal, I walked back towards Hakata Station. At the station I visited all of my favorite places ... the rooftop garden, Dean & Deluca, KITTE, ... etc. I also found a ton of new restaurants I had no idea existed. There's a place called Doug's Burger that I'm dying to try. I can't wait for another excuse to go back to Fukuoka.


Hakata Rooftop Garden, Hakata Station, 11 F

I had such a great day in Fukuoka. I'm so glad I went. For my trip back to Orio, I splurged and took a Limited Express train. It cuts the travel time in half and it's so comfortable. It was definitely worth the extra 510 yen. 


Hakata JR Train Station, Fukuoka, Japan

I've got a lot going on this week ... English camp, Japanese studying (I actually am using a textbook now), and gym sessions to start preparing for the half marathon I want to run in November. I'm sure this week will end up flying by and I'll wonder where the time went, but at this moment all I can see is my   l o o o n g   to-do list.


My favorite whiskey highball is the grapefruit flavor.

Also, I couldn't resist sharing this. Even though I didn't partake, I think it's so cool that Suntory had a Whiskey Highball Garden Party. If I hadn't been so full of coffee and pancakes, I would've jumped in line. JAPAN seriously always has something going on. I love it!

XOXO

P.S. I forgot to mention that I went to my Japanese Conversation Class this past Sunday. My head felt like it was empty. Not only was I have trouble remembering Japanese, but also English. I was a mess. This week's class should go a lot better.


Kurosaki COM CITY, Japanese Conversation Class