Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Hello, Hiroshima. Nice to meet you!


On Saturday morning, I finished packing my suitcase and made my way to the train station. I was headed to Hiroshima for a long weekend. Even though I'd had this trip in mind for a couple of months, it still seemed to catch me by surprise. The school year messes with me. My days during the week string together, and my weekends are blurs of explorations and Japanese class. Like I've said before, there's little 'free time'.

Another reason for why the trip seemed to sneak up on me, is because I left the planning to someone else. Yes, that's right. I let someone else take control and plan the itinerary. Well, I didn't exactly leave it all up to them. They told me to give them a list of all the places that I wanted to see and that they would take care of the logistics.

If you know me, you can imagine my struggle with the idea of letting someone else plan and be in control. This was definitely a time where I was learning how to be comfortable with being uncomfortable. 

And here's what happened when I let my guards down and let someone in ...

I had fun. I enjoyed myself. I relaxed. I felt like a little kid.
And most importantly, I saw things and did things that I probably wouldn't have without the push of someone else.

So to my friend, tour-guide and photographer, Thank you! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be myself in a way that I rarely am. For that, I am forever grateful. You'll never know how much that meant to me. 


XOXO, M

Take a look at how I spent 3 days in Hiroshima . . . 



Day One Highlights...

- Hiroshima Castle: toured the grounds and museum, saw the view from the castle's top window, and ate sake flavored ice cream  

- Hiroshima Museum of Art: walked through 4 exhibition rooms and felt nostalgic for the Dallas Museum of Art 

- Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park & Museum: toured the grounds and museum

- Okotber Fest: admired all of the beer, especially the ones that were served in a glass boot

- Ichigo Ramen: sat at our own individual ramen stalls and slurped our noodles

- Orizuru Tower TourEven in my dreams, I've never imagined a place this stunning

- Origami Paper Cranes at Orizuru Tower: made paper cranes and dropped them from 12 stories high


"One way with coffee,
walking, touring and wide eyed,thirteen stories high."
Hiroshima Day 1, 2017.9.16















Day Two ...

- Our Miyajima Island Tour was cancelled due to Typhoon No. 18. So I spent the afternoon at Edian browsing through electronics, housewares, and their amazing collection of books. I ordered a chai latte at Starbucks and found a place to read. It was incredibly peaceful and the perfect way to spend a stormy day. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't venture around town because the typhoon brought strong wind and walls of rain. In the evening, I ate dinner at the hostel and continued to read my book in the lounge. 

"Good morning, Tyhphoon.
Grande chai tea soy latte.
Edian, thank you."
Hiroshima Day 1, 2017.9.17




Day Three ... 

- Miyajima Ferry: took the ferry from Hiroshima to Itsukushima "Miyajima Island"

- Coffee at Miyajima Coffee Shop: sipped our coffee in the most aesthetically pleasing space

- Touring Miyajima Island: walking through the island felt magical --- a real life Disney park

- Mt. Misen Hike: a glass of sake and a beer with a view; a 500 meter hike to the top; the most spectacular view and cleanest restroom I've ever seen!

- Okonomiyaki: ordered ours the Hiroshima way, with scallops

- Celebratory Mojitos: 1 grapefruit, 1 kiwi

- Kentai Bridge, Iwakuni: the ending to a perfect day

"Take two. Clear, blue skies,
coffee buzz, picturesque views,
and an appetite."
Hiroshima Day 3, 2017.9.18


















Goodbye, Hiroshima. Thanks for the memories. 

XOXO,
M