Monday, September 5, 2016

Welcome Back!


Welcome Home! --- I've returned from my summer stateside and am settling into the new semester. It was a whirlwind of a summer. This was my first grown up summer. Two weeks of bliss. I spent a week in Austin, TX with my family. It was fun to explore their new city. Austin isn't Dallas and it's definitely not McKinney, but it's pretty great. Here were the highlights:


  • Food Trucks
  • Kirby Lane
  • 6th Street People Watching
  • Floating the River in San Marcos, TX
  • Rowing Class
  • Hiking 
  • The University of Texas
  • The Bats on Congress Bridge


After our week in Austin we traveled to Watercolor, FL for our beach vacation. Seriously, our best one yet. This year we filled the house up. Every single bed was occupied. I was so happy my parents let me invite some of my college roommates and sorority sisters -- XO.  

We spent our days at the Watercolor Inn alternating between the beach and the pool. We rode bikes, ordered drinks at the bar, shopped at the market, and had the best time. It truly felt like vacation.

And I cannot leave out that I attended PureBarre almost every day I was there --- success!


White Family Vacation, Watercolor, FL, 2016 --- my original roommates.


Chi Omega Yours Forever





When I returned to Japan I hit the ground running. I had one day to recover from jet lag and adjust to the time difference before I was back to work:
  • English Camp
  • Training
  • Second Semester Opening Ceremony
As hectic as it all was, I was so happy to be back. I had a wonderful vacation but I was happy to return to my apartment, my things, my routine. It really isn't hard to tell that I love my life here in Japan.

Here are some things I've added to my Second Semester Routine:
  • Religious Running - I mapped out the perfect 3 mile course. I call it the figure eight and I have a schedule that I plan to stick to. *I'm training for a race in November!
  • Cooking Rice - I finally bought a rice cooker and plan to make my own onigiri. I bought the seaweed wrappers & umeboshi. I'm all set. The only thing I need to pick up is the rice vinegar.
  • Stretching/YOGA - I'm starting with light stretching and will eventually be adding yoga to my routine. #letsstartyoga
  • News Podcasts - I have to keep up with what's going on stateside. I've subscribed to the NBC Nightly News podcast. Due to the time difference I wake up in the morning to the news from the day before. It's not the best system, but it's a start. & I cannot forget to mention theSkimm -- THANK YOU Wesley & Maggie for opening my eyes and changing my ways!
  • Japanese Lessons - Imagine how much more I will love my life here once I understand the language. I cannot wait!




September 5, 2016 - Today was supposed to be my first official day of classes, but typhoon Namtheun cancelled classes for the students. Teachers and staff still came in, but the students had a free day.  I'm looking forward to tomorrow. I'm excited to see the students and hear about their summer vacations.

Hello, Autumn!





Last but certainly not least, I couldn't leave out what I did this past weekend. On Saturday, September 3rd, B and I were shown all around Wakamatsu Ward. 

We . . . 
  • visited a Buddhist Temple/Shrine under the Wakato Bridge

 

  • bought the best croissants from MIKADUKIYA that specializes in croissants. I bought 3 different flavors to try: tea, adzuki (sweet red bean), and matcha (green tea).

  • explored a jewelry and photography studio, Tsumugi+,  where we made new friends. I have a tennis hitting session scheduled for later in the week. Apparently the jeweler plays tennis in a community league and said it would be o.k. if I joined. SO EXCITED!
  • tried on traditional kimonos at a specialty kimono shop -- Momokoko 


This weekend adventure was one that was truly unexpected. I came into this outing not knowing what our tour guide had planned (I"m not sure she knew either), but knowing that I would trust the adventure. I'm happy we said "YES" to everything. 

A weekend to remember. 




I hope everyone has a great week!

Xoxo,

M