Sunday, January 8, 2017

1st Japanese Class of 2017




Today was the first Japanese Class of 2017. I was nervous to say the least. Coming to class is difficult because every time I know I am walking into a challenge. My teacher (Shoko-san) and classmates are all kind, encouraging, and extremely patient with me. Seriously, Shoko-san is the best! I am making a conscious effort to study more because I have a goal of learning hiragana and katakana this year. 

In today's class I practiced asking questions with my fellow classmate. He's preparing for the speech contest at the end of this month. I can't wait to see how he does! He speaks fluent Japanese and has been studying since junior high school. We're the same age. So the simple questions he helped me practice were ones like:

Where did you go?
Anata wa doko ni ikimashita ka?

When did you go?
Itsu ikimashita ka?

Who did you go with?
Anata wa dare to issho ni ikimashita ka?

Why did you go?
Dōshite itta no?

What did you do?
Anata wa naniwoshita?

What did you eat?
Nani o tabemashita ka?

I also worked on writing a summary of my trip to Tokyo. That's what I wanted to share today. Below I have included my summary in simple English, romaji (English alphabet characters), and the translation in Japanese.  Thanks to the help of Google translator, I was able to put this graphic together. 

I may not be able to write my summary without help from my text book, but I can recite it out loud in Japanese and am very happy about that!

Enjoy!

P.S. I also met a fellow English teacher today. They're from Canada. We had coffee at Tully's and shared our experiences in English. It was totemo tanoshikatta desu.