Sunday, January 15, 2017

Focus on Being Present


Unplugging --- something I need to do more often. Freakonomics, NPR's TED Radio Hour, and a handful of articles I've read this week all have mentioned this concept. It seems easy enough, until you actually put it into practice.

I made a conscious effort this week to ditch my earbuds. Normally, I have them in when I'm commuting to work, riding the train, or walking around town. I haven't always done that though. When I first moved here I was too focused on trying to 'survive' that I didn't even think of listening to music or podcasts while I was moving from place to place. But for the past few months, I've plugged in. And I probably would have stayed this way if it wasn't for these media outlets bringing it to my attention.

I'm glad they did, because I realized that I've been missing out on a vital part of my whole experience. I haven't been fully present. I've been distracting myself with comforts. I know it's been a way for me to combat minor homesickness, but I want to grow out of it.

Need inspiration to unplug? 

Yes, it's true, sometimes (actually, quite often) I think about my family, friends, and everything that is continuing to happen stateside. I've missed a lot - birthday's, holiday's, engagements, special events, ... etc. That's all part of what I signed up for though. I chose to come here and I'm choosing to (fingers crossed) stay a little longer. But what I don't want to be doing, is spending so much time thinking about everything I left behind and not allowing myself to be present. Because eventually my time in Japan will come to an end and I'll find myself 'homesick' and missing exactly what I have right now.

So this week I ditched my earbuds and here's what happened ...

Work Week
It was the 1st week back to school. I had a great time hearing about my students winter vacations. Even though most of them studied every single day, we still had a lot to talk about!

Friday Night
To celebrate our first week back to school, C and I decided to try the TeppanGyoza restaurant near our apartment. We ordered two pots of gyoza and whiskey high balls. We tried our best to use our Japanese and were semi-successful. Our waitress was great. She actually spoke English and had studied abroad for a couple of months in Seattle, Washington. We learned her work schedule and said we'd be back to visit again. The food was unbelievable. Oishii desu!


Saturday
I spent the afternoon in Kokura. B's boyfriend R came all the way from Europe to visit! I met them for lunch. We tried a new Japanese restaurant. Kokura has so many choices. The streets are literally lined on both sides with options. We all liked the place we picked. I was happy to try it because I always pass it, but never have had a reason to go in.

After lunch we walked around for a bit and then went out separate ways. It was really great to meet up with them. B & I were able to show him around. We enjoyed feeling more like locals for once.

I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening walking around Kokura. I ventured over to the River Walk area and explored more of Kokura Castle.


Heading to Kokura Station


Kokura Station


Whiskey High Ball -- my new drink of choice. 


B - sashimi set, R - fried pork set, M - karage (fried chicken) set


Kokura River Walk 


Kokura Castle Temple Entrance


Kokura Castle Garden


Kokura Castle Temple Gardens


In case you've been wondering what a Japanese style toilet looks like.
When a western toilet is not available, this is your next option.


Kokura Station

Sunday
I woke up before my alarm and couldn't get back to sleep because I was so cold. I know it's terrible for my skin, but I was desperate. I turned my shower into a steam room and stayed in there longer than I should have. It was so warm though. Today, it snowed in parts of Kyushu. I have ALT friends who live north of me in the mountains, and they took video of the snow falling. I was so happy to see it! Maybe snow will fall in my area before the school year ends. Fingers crossed.

In the afternoon I headed to Kurosaki for my Japanese class. Today went to so well. Since I actually studied this week and practiced writing the hiragana characters, we moved through conversations much faster. We were also able to talk about a lot more. I left the class feeling happy instead of traumatized like I normally do. My teacher, Shoko-san is truly the best. She's patient with me and pushes me out of my comfort zone.

Instead of going to Tully's after class, I jumped on a train for Nishi-Kokura and treated myself to Starbucks. I re-wrote my notes and enjoyed a tall latte. My days of ordering grande and venti sizes are long gone --- at least for my time here in Japan. It's hard to say, but even a tall feels like a lot. Portion sizes are smaller here and I've adjusted. Honestly, I'm looking forward to ordering a venti latte in the states just so I can shock myself.

So my language goal for this week is to write out all of the hiragana characters every day. I think that by this time next Sunday, I'll be able to recognize and write hiragana. That's my goal anyway.

I'm starting to prepare for a Japanese Language Proficiency Test. There are 5 different levels, with 5 being the lowest. That's where I want to start. I want to challenge myself to sit for the N5 JLPT. Before I can even begin to study the prep material, I need to be able to read & write hiragana and katakana. The test is offered two times a year, once in July and once in December. I haven't officially decided on which one I want to sign up for.

Here's what the sample questions look like ... [click here]  

Ganbareru - がんばられる- I am able to do my best!


Kurosaki Station


Kurosaki Station


Kurosaki Station


Kurosaki Station


Kokura River Walk Starbucks


Smiling, because I realized that my father and the Moussalli's from Huntingdon College have always been right. There's an opportunity cost for everything we do in life.


This week I put my headphones away and enjoyed myself. Now, I'm looking to eliminate mindless scrolling through social media. I'm going to stay present. Join me if you're up for it! 

Xoxo, 

M