Saturday, June 4, 2016

Adventure: Riverwalk, Kokura Castle, and Kokura Station

June 5, 2016 - Today was an adventure. I woke up surprising early and started my day instead of sleeping in as planned. Yesterday I spent most of the day running necessary errands. Setting up my cell phone was a major check off my to-do list. So today I thought I would do some exploring -- finally see the city I am living in. I checked a few travel sites, the train schedules, packed my bag, and headed out for my day in Kitakyushu. Here was my plan: 

Take the train from Orio Station to Nishi Kokura Station, 370 yen
Walk to the Riverwalk Shopping Center
Visit Kokura Castle
Find the Riverwalk Starbucks
Walk to Kokura Station
Visit AMU Plaza
Take the train from Kokura Station to Orio Station, 370 yen

13:30
I arrived to Nishi Kokura Station without a problem. Leaving the station I happened upon a bike rental kiosk. From what I gathered, you can rent the bike from this location and then return it to either the same kiosk, or any of the other kiosks listed on the map. I've always heard that the best way to see a city is by bike or on foot. I'm adding this to my list of "to-do's" for the future.




13:40
I found the Riverwalk Shopping Center by following the signage on the streets. They have directional arrows pointing towards major attractions -- written in English! The Riverwalk is massive. It is a 6 story shopping center with a food court, cinema, and it is attached to the preforming arts center and art museum. It was sensory overload. I decided to just start from the bottom and work my way to the top.




14:30
After browsing through stores and window shopping I finally came across a store that had what I was looking for. I have been needing to get a few work tops. The problem is finding stops that are structured enough and conservative enough. I have four suits that I rotate between, but I have only 2 tops to wear with them. I'm trying to avoid having to do laundry every night. In Japan the concept of a dryer does not exist. Everyone hang dry's their clothing. This can be inconvenient at times. It is something I am working to get used to.

The store that I found is called "niko and ...". It is brilliant. The color scheme is earth tones and neutrals. They're clothing is reasonably priced and sturdy. Nothing felt cheap. I found a top that would work with both of my suits and ended up buying it in black and white. It's sturdy like a sweater, but light and airy enough to wear for these summer months. It also has a high neckline and covers my arms which is important for Japanese schools.

This was my first clothing shopping experience. I have never felt more "mute". A shop girl came up and asked me if I wanted a dressing room. I could tell what she was asking for by her body language and gestures, however I could not respond. I stood there frozen holding the shirts in my hand. Finally I motioned for the dressing room and followed her as she led me. 



I had never been in a dressing room like this before. There was a wood palate on the floor that acted as the official changing area -- no shoes are allowed on the wood. There was a sign that explained you needed to take your shoes off and put on a "face cover" when trying on clothing.

As wild as this was it all made sense. There have been many times when I have avoided trying something on because I did not want to chance getting my makeup on it. Well not in Japan. In Japan I can try on bright white tops and not worry about staining them. This was a highlight of my day. *I saved the face cover and plan on using when I get dressed in the mornings.

When I made my way to the checkout I was asked if I had my passport. Luckily I did and was able to receive this purchase Tax Free. The Riverwalk has many shops that offer Tax Free shopping -- future me is unbelievably happy!

15:00
The Kokura Castle is right across from the Riverwalk. I made my way to the ground level of the shopping center and found the path that led right to the castle. It was so peaceful and serene. I felt like I had stepped back in time.





15:10
I found the Riverwalk Starbucks ... but it is currently undergoing a renovation. It will be opening on July 1st! I'll just have to make a trip back. It is located on the ground floor of the Riverwalk and faces out towards the Kokura Castle. It's a perfect location and I cannot wait to order a drink here.


15:30
I made my way from the Riverwalk to Kokura Station. I browsed through the AMU Plaza and looked in a few of the shops that line the street. Since the Riverwalk Starbucks was undergoing renovations I stopped into the Kokura Starbucks. The line was out the door. There were probably 20 people ahead of me. There was a Starbucks barista who was walking around passing out menus to everyone waiting. When I got to the counter I ordered as follows, "Grande Latte, onegaishimasu." I paid 447 yen and was given my receipt/ticket.

The Starbucks in Japan have a great system. Instead of ordering your drink and then wondering off, you get into the line for people who are waiting on their drink. When you get up to the counter you lay down your receipt and the barista checks it. This is to ensure everyone gets their drink. It's wonderful. It eliminates all confusion and as a foreigner who cannot speak the language, I was able to understand and participate in the system without any problem.

When my turn came up I received my drink and took it upstairs to the second level where I found a small table to sit at. I logged into the Starbucks wifi and was able to download podcasts, apps, and use Google translator on my phone. *My apartment does not have wifi. I have to use a LAN line.* It was really nice to be able to use my phone, check Instagram, and check in on Facebook.


16:40
I took my Starbucks with me and headed for Kokura Train Station. There was a train scheduled to leave at 16:55 bound for Orio Station. I purchased my ticket (370 yen) and found my platform. When I boarded the train I thought to myself, "Alright, moment of truth. Am I heading in the right direction?". This is the thought I have every time I board a train.

16:55
I left Kokura Station and headed in the direction of Orio Station -- success!


17:35
I arrived to Orio Station and headed back to my apartment.

--- Mission accomplished.