Sunday, June 26, 2016

Adventure: Ashiya Beach

June 26, 2016 - This morning I woke up and Skyped my brother and my parents. It was great to see their faces! I'm really getting excited for my trip home in August for our beach vacation! We're renting a new house this year and I'm anxious to see its interior. I have always liked interior design because of my Mom. One of our favorite activities is to go looking at model homes on the weekend. I know the house will be gorgeous, but I'm ready to see it in person.

Due to me wanting to be at the beach on vacation and the sun finally shining, I decided that today was the day for my beach adventure.

Once I finished laundry and cleaning I packed up and headed for the bus station.






Last night I spoke with my IC (Independent Coordinator) and she advised that going to Iwaya Beach is difficult because buses rarely run. Taking her advice, I searched for a new beach and found Ashiya State Park. It is located just north west of my apartment.

I checked the schedule at Orio Station and took my chances on Bus #90 bound for Ashiya. I knew that even if it didn't take me directly to the beach it would at least put me in its vicinity.

I bought onigiri with umeboshi at 7-11 before I left the station.





I got off at a stop near the port -- 320 yen -- checked the map and found that I was in the perfect spot. The beach was about a half mile walk.






I followed the signs and made it successfully to the beach. I walked down to the water and found a place to sit. There were a group of wind surfers riding the waves and I was mesmerized. Some of these guys were flying in the air! It was incredible.








There was also a game of rugby being played. I had never seen a game played in person before. I've only ever heard about it. A lot of the JHS students plan on playing rugby when they go to HS. It was really neat to see!





As fun as it was to watch, I really wanted to just play! I miss playing sports. I didn't realize how hard it is to be a spectator of sports. Every time I see a a club sports practice at my schools I have the urge to jump in. I miss playing tennis! I really miss the drill clinic I was a part of in McKinney, TX earlier this year. It was intense and I was always drained afterwards. That's the feeling I'm missing --- true physical exhaustion. The weather is starting to become really nice. I know I'll start running outside soon!

I stayed at the beach for about an hour and a half. Next time, I'll bring a blanket, a book, and my swimsuit. This is going to be the perfect way to spend my summer!






I walked to my bus stop and took the bus back to Orio Station -- 320 yen.

Round Trip Fare - 640 yen

From Orio Station I got on a train bound for Wakamatsu. I really have not heard much about Wakamatsu so I decided to check it out.

The station is small and there really isn't much in terms of attractions. However, it is right along the water and the bridge that connects Wakamatsu and Tabata is worth seeing. It felt like a small scale version of the Golden Gate Bridge.








I enjoyed my walk along the water. I stopped by the store and picked up rice balls and Japanese vegetables for dinner. I ate on a bench by the water. It was so peaceful.



After dinner I took a train back to Orio Station.

When I got to the station I dove into my pastry. I have developed a love for bread since coming to Japan. I love their bread. It is delicious and I do not have a negative reaction to it. It's wonderful. The pastry I bought tonight was what I thought to be a plain croissant -- possible filled with chocolate. However, when I bit into it I discovered that it was filled with something I'm calling sweet ube mochi. I have no idea what it's true name is or what it actually is. I just know that it is by far the best pastry I have had so far.




Nom nom nom.