Monday, October 10, 2016

Weekly Update & Recap: Magic

October 3rd - October 9th 



Monday & Tuesday 

- normal school day's - 



Wednesday

- semi normal school day - 
classes cancelled for students due to a typhoon

After school, L and I joined a gym!

[Insert experience of the whole process: filling out Japanese paperwork; using official bank account stamps; and committing to a three month contract.]




Thursday

- normal school day - 



Friday

- normal school day & tennis club practice - 


Saturday 

Tennis in the mountains. A magical day.



Mixed doubles with Coach A against Mrs. S and Mr. A.




We lost in two sets, 5-7, 5-7. 



In the morning Coach A picked me up and we headed to our mixed doubles match. I wasn't exactly sure where we were going or what was in store for this day. When we arrived at the sports complex I couldn't believe what I saw. It was truly magical. There were walking trails, sports courts, lookout points, and an array of grass tennis courts. It seriously did not feel real. 

Since Coach and I arrived early we picked the court and started to warm up. When Mrs. S and Mr. A walked onto the court I was so surprised to find that they spoke English. Not only did they speak English, but they were fluent English speakers. It was amazing. 

Even though Coach and I lost the match, we had a blast.  I think the more we play together the better we will become. We're going to have to learn how to break the language barrier between us. Right now we're unable to talk to each other about game strategy, or when to "switch" in the middle of a point. I think all of this will come. We just have to keep trying.

After the match we all headed to an onsen. An onsen is a traditional spa/bath house. When I was a child I remember going to one with my family when we lived in Okinawa, Japan. However, that was many years ago and I don't remember a lot of it. So when I explained to them that this was my first time going to an onsen they all had a look of uneasiness and shock on their faces. 

The onsen we vistited was not co-ed. There were specific men and women areas. 
I've linked an article explaining what onsen's are ... click here.

[Insert whole onsen experience here.]  

Overall, I enjoyed my first onsen experience. I left the spa feeling refreshed, relaxed, and my skin feeling softer and healthier.  I'm glad I was able to experience this unique part of Japanese culture. 

Afterwards, we had lunch at the onsen's restaurant. It was absolutely wonderful to talk with Mrs. S and Mr. A. They are so interesting and I am happy Coach A introduced me to them.

We made plans to play tennis again later this week.


Lunch at the onsen: udon noodles, tempura, and sashimi rice.

Before being dropped off at my apartment we did a little shopping at COSTCO. Timing could not have been better. I have been feeling a little homesick for the US lately. It's the time of year, holiday season.  I see all of my college friends attending football games & tailgates; drinking Starbucks; and enjoying the fall weather. I love this time of year. There is a lot I am missing, so it was really nice to walk around COSTCO and see familiar products. I saw Christmas tress, Halloween costumes, English books, and tons of other things I recognized. It was like coming home. 




Shopping at COSTCO --- Einstein Bros. Bagels & iced coffee.

This Saturday was truly magical. A day filled with experiences I'll never forget. 

Sunday 

... lazy like Sunday morning.


I woke up exhausted this morning. My whole body ached. It was the good kind of aching, though. They type that comes after a full day of exerting yourself.  I made a latte and wrapped myself in my new COSTCO blanket and settled into watch the series finale of Gilmore Girls - Season 7, Episode 22, "Bon Voyage".  I am so ready for the new episodes of Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life to be released. 

In the afternoon I attended my weekly Japanese Conversation Class. B came with me and we had a challenging time to say the least. We left the class with our heads tangled and me on the verge of tears. Learning a new language is overwhelming. Just when I start to make a little head way a new challenge is thrown my way. I'm not complaining, I'm just explaining myself. 

B and I had Halloween Pumpkin Spice Latte's at Tully's and tried to re-balance ourselves. 



For this upcoming week I plan to study:

hiragana and katakana Japanese characters;
basic vocabulary; and telling time. 

After our latte's we took a train over to the AEON shopping plaza. I needed to buy new tennis/workout clothes. In Japan when it comes to workout attire the more conservative the better.  


After a successful shopping trip we each boarded buses in opposite directions and said, 

"Mata ne." - See you.

I ended my night by watching The Internship on Netflix and Facebook video messaging with my parents. It was so nice to catch up with them. 

Monday

Japanese National Holiday
SPORTS DAY


Sleeping in a little later than planned was well worth it. Once I woke up, I tidied up my apartment, did laundry, and enjoyed a huge cup of coffee. 

In the afternoon I changed into my new tennis clothes, packed my bag, and waited for Coach A to pick me up. We had plans to play mixed doubles against Mrs. S and Mr. A.

We were supposed to play on hard courts, but something happened with our reservation, and we ended up back on the omni surface (grass). I'm becoming quite used to the omni surface. It's actually weird to think of playing on a hard court now. 

Today, Coach A and I won against Mr. A and Mrs. S! It was awesome! We played really well together. I poached at the net, made my serves, and even threw up quite a few successful lobs. 

The weather was so nice today, too! The sun was out and there was a constant breeze. For the first time I was actually cold  --- unbelievable. 

After a full 3 hours of tennis, our time on the court was over. We all said goodbye and made plans to play again later in the week.

I'm really happy to have what feels like a standing tennis reservation.

When I got back to my apartment, I showered, changed, and wrapped myself in my COSTCO blanket. I was exhausted. I made myself a cup of coffee and toasted my blueberry bagel.