Sunday, October 23, 2016

Weekly Update & Weekend Recap: A beautiful blur.


I had a normal week of school. It was fun to work in classes for all the different grade levels. I had time to interact with the students and have real English conversations. 

Here were some of the highlights:

- hearing stories from students about their weekend adventures and mishaps
- singing the Pen Pineapple Apple Pen song over and over again
- teaching students how to say "I have a headache ... stomachache ... cough ... etc." 
- attending and observing an English Class demonstration at another junior high school
- finding out that many of the students love the NBA
- making origami pumpkins 
- trying a new yogurt flavor, mikan (orange)

In addition to having a great week of school, I also had a great week at the gym. I'm building momentum and gearing up for my 10km race in November. It's been challenging to follow my fitness plan, but it's unbelievably rewarding. I feel exhausted afterwards and extremely happy. I love the feeling that comes after I've pushed myself. 


Saturday

It rained all day  So instead of playing tennis here's what happened . . . 

A trip to Mojiko. 

It's about 40 minutes north of where I live. It's absolutely beautiful. I've heard from countless people that Mojiko is a place I must visit. It's also where I'll be running my 10k race in November, so I was happy to see it beforehand. 
Cafe Latte from Lawson.

Browsed through shop after shop in Mojiko Retro.
Beaded jewelry, crystal lamps, souvenirs, childhood anime character flashbacks [Kiki's Delivery Service], holiday decorations, and countless framed paintings. 
Rode the elevator to the top of Mojiko Tower.
A 270 degree view from the 31st floor. Looking out across the Kanmon Strait to see Shimonseki of the Yamaguchi prefecture. 
Took a ferry across the Kanmon Strait from Mojiko to Shimonseki.
Ate kaiten-zsushi (conveyor belt sushi) and toured the aquarium, twice. There were 26 different types of puffer fish to see! 
It was an unbelievable day and kind of a blur. I loved every second of it.


Coffee for the road trip.


Mojiko Retro



Mojiko Retro




Mojiko Retro



Mojiko Tower - 270 degree view from the 31st floor


Loved being a tourist in Mojiko.




Mojiko Tower - 270 degree view from the 31st floor




Mojiko Tower - 270 degree view from the 31st floor


Taking a ferry across the Kanmon Strait.


Kanmon Strait Ferry  




Shimonseki Fish Market


Kaiten-zsushi, sushi-go-round, conveyor belt sushi



Shimonseki Aquarium 



Goodnight, Mojiko.

Sunday

On Sunday, I packed up my Japanese language books and headed to class a couple of hours early. Not before watching an episode of Mr. Robot (I'm obsessed), though. Unfortunately, I've only seen the first 3 episodes. The rest are unavailable to stream. I'm extremely disappointed. That will be the first show I binge watch when I return to the US. 



Orio Eki , Orio Station

I decided to make time to review and study beforehand. Since I had spoken with my instructor on the phone the night before, I had an idea of what we would be covering today. I tried my best to gather as much information as possible in order to be prepared.

I ordered a cafe mocha at Tully's and reviewed ... 




It's official. I'm cheating on Starbucks.

After our Japanese lesson, B and I headed to AEON to do a little shopping. I've been wanting to update my wardrobe. Fall is in the air here in Japan and I'm starting to feel like bundling up. I'm so obsessed with my purchases I had to show a few of them off ...


Some of today's pieces --- puffer vest, white sweater, & trench coat.

Today's Whole Haul:
- taupe puffer vest
- tan trench coat
- white waffle knit sweater
- powder blue waffle knit sweater
- celery green lace up ballet flats
- straight black pants

I wrapped up a great week & wonderful weekend by streaming my favorite movie of all time on NETFLIX, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and drinking a cafe latte.