Monday, October 3, 2016

Weekly Update & Weekend Recap : Re-Balancing Act




I'm calling this week the lost week.  So many interesting things happened ... I'm sure they did. I just am unable to recall them because the week went by so quickly. My days consisted of school and sleep. 

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were normal school days. I worked in multiple English classes, helped students prepare for the English Speech Contest, and watched them prepare for their midterm exams.  

On Wednesday though, I walked all the way from JHS #2 to my apartment in the rain. It was own personal choice ... promise. 



It was an adventure for sure. I saw so many new places I want to try!




Thursday and Friday were the exam days. While the students tested, I worked on preparing materials for the upcoming lessons. 


On Thursday I discovered Japanese sake flavored KitKat's 

Despite being unable to recall the details of the week, I know it was a good week. I had a lot of fun helping the students prepare for the speech contest. I felt like I was back in school writing, editing, and delivering speeches. It was a blast. 


Saturday, October 1, 2016

Just like my week, my weekend was packed. On Saturday, B and I attended the citywide English Speech Contest to watch our students compete. It was unbelievable. I'm so glad I had my handkerchief with me because I definitely teared up. Watching these junior high school students deliver their original speeches written about world topics like fair trade, global warming, terrorism, and globalization, was definitely emotional. The winner of the contest spoke about language and communication. His title was Better Information for Better Communication. I left the contest inspired. Each speech contained some type of "So, I challenge you ... ", and I have to say I left with a full to do list. 







Preparing for and attending the speech contest is by far one of my most memorable experiences as an ALT. I can't wait for next year's!

After the contest B and I had iced coffee and kabocha taiyaki at a little wi-fi cafe. It was the perfect way to decompress and process everything we had just witnessed at the contest.


Taiyaki -- fish shaped pancake with sweet filling.




Sunday, October 2, 2016

In the morning I went to Sports Depot with S and we met Coach A there. They helped me purchase my new tennis racket. I was so excited and happy to finally get the racket I've always wanted. I am the proud new owner of the Babalot Pure Drive LITE. I was so thankful for Coach A. He helped me pick out what string to use (polyester) and what tension to have it strung at (50x50). Even though I've played tennis all my life I'm pretty sure I'm tennis illiterate. I was clueless when it came to making the important decisions. I have so much to learn .... 



In the afternoon I attended my Japanese Language Lesson. It was a wonderful time. I made more new friends (thanks to LINE) and left the session with the ability to say:

I am going to ...
I went to ...
Let's go.
I like ...
I want to eat ...
I want to drink ...






I really like the atmosphere of the lessons. Their held in a modern building and there are people from all over the world. It really is foreigner friendly. It's nice to meet other people who are trying to break through the same language barriers.


One of the instructors gave me a gift --- my name written in Japanese.

After the class I went to Tully's Coffee for another PSL. I also organized and re-wrote my notes. It was wonderful. 

I caught a bus back to Orio and ran to my apartment. I had about 20 minutes to change before Coach A was picking me up to go and play mixed doubles.  When he arrived he had my new racket waiting for me. We headed to the courts and played mixed doubles against some of the other tennis group members. It was awesome! The courts we play on are a mix of grass and sand. I slide all over the place. I've started looking at new court shoes and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to get. 



I hit really well with my new racket. I had to put a lot more topsin on the ball than I'm used to, but I think it's forcing me to make a positive change in my game. I had a blast playing. Honestly, I felt like I was back in my early days of playing tennis. I felt relaxed and happy. I was enjoying the game. I'm so grateful to have met this Japanese tennis group. 

By the time I got back to my apartment it was too late to do anything but eat, shower, and go to sleep.  



It was such a good week and a great weekend! I finally feel re-balanced and back to normal. I'm getting back into my routine. I have a "normal" week ahead of me and I am looking forward to it.