Friday, May 26, 2017

Hanami - はなみ

Here are the pictures from my last field trip with my Japanese Conversation Class before I headed to the US for vacation.

After our class toured the TOTO Museum -- which was one of my most favorite experiences -- we had a Hanami picnic at Kokura Castle.  Even though it was a gloomy rainy day, we had a wonderful time sharing food, conversation, and the scenery. The cherry blossoms weren't quite in full bloom, but they were still beautiful to see.

I'm hoping that next year I'll be in Japan during the cherry blossom season. It really is the best time of year. The weather is crisp and cool and you can feel spring time in the air. The pictures I've seen from friends are breathtaking --- streets lined with the blooms of all shades of pink and white.  It seems magical. I'm going to do my best to see them next year.


Japanese Conversation Class


さくら - sakura (cherry blossom)



はなみ - Hanami (spring time celebration of cherry blossoms)


Japanese picnic food - おにぎり(onigiri - rice ball), pasta salad, からげ (karage - fried chicken), たまご tamago (rolled egg), and fried potato (french fries).



Kokura Castle Hanami Festival


After the picnic with the Conversation Class finished, Shoko-san and I went out for something sweet. We went to Moby Dick, a restaurant inside Kokura River Walk. We sat at a table that overlooked Kokura Castle and were able to see the Hanami Festival from above. We shared a pan of smore's pancakes and talked about all of our favorite memories. As happy as I was to be going to the US, I was sad to be leaving Shoko-san. If it wasn't for her help and guidance, I wouldn't have seen near as much of my town and I definitely wouldn't know the amount of Japanese that I know.  


Kokura Castle Hanami Festival