Saturday, May 27, 2017

Returning to Japan

AUS > DFW > NRT > FUK
24+ hours of travel time


Returning to Japan after my month and a half vacation in the US was not easy. First of all, I was emotionally torn. I loved seeing my family & friends, and being in a country where I could understand the language. But, I was ready to get back to my apartment where all my things were and where my routine was waiting for me. 

Secondly, I ran into a lot of complications. Usually my travels are extremely enjoyable and seamless. This time was different. I've debated on listing out the issues I ran into because I really want to put this trip behind me. With that said, I'm going to share them anyway because I'm hoping I'll find humor in the whole situation soon. So here's my list ... 

*Disclaimer - I still love traveling and I will continue to travel.


1. Austin, TX (AUS) - checked baggage was overweight by 1lbs. I ditched my magazines and additional English material in order to make weight and avoid paying extra baggage fees.
Saved $180.00.

2. Dallas, TX (DFW) - the flight was first delayed by an hour ... so I returned to the lounge to wait. No big deal.

3. DFW - the flight was delayed once again. This time it was for 5 hours. I spent 3 of the 5 hours waiting in line to make changes to my connecting flights in Tokyo (NRT) and Fukuoka (FUK). For the last 2 hours I went back to the lounge. 
Slightly bigger deal.

4. DFW - when the agent scanned my boarding pass it was not recognized. It turns out that I was not registered for the flight. They agents adjusted my ticket and secured a seat for me.
THANK YOU!

5. DFW - boarded the plane and took my seat. Went to sleep and woke up to an announcement that our flight would be delayed while the crew removed luggage from the plane. Apparently a passenger did not board the plane and the policy is for their baggage to be removed.
Understandable.


6. NRT - due to the delay and my rescheduled connection, I had to cancel my hotel in Fukuoka outside the window of free cancellation.
Took an "L" on that one.

7. NRT - landed in Tokyo. Made it through immigration. Went to retreive my luggage and only one bag was circling on the carousel. An agent approached me and asked if I was waiting for another bag. As I followed her I quickly realized that my bag was not in Tokyo.  This was the bag that contained all of my clothes and shoes.
Bummer.

8. NRT - the moment I realized that my baggage was the baggage that was removed from the flight because they originally had me as a passenger that did not board the flight.
****!

9. NRT - after a couple of hours of sleep in the complimentary hotel, I took the shuttle to the Domestic Terminal at NRT to make my re-scheduled connecting flight to FUK.
Just a little sleepy and uncomfortable but I made it!


Eventually I made it back to my apartment and settled in. I was able to adjust to the time difference and actually catch up on sleep. My baggage was delivered to my apartment a couple of days later and I've never loved a bag more. 

As crazy and unnerving as this whole experience was, it had some really great moments. I'd be remiss if I didn't list them out. So here are my trip highlights ...  

1. My travel outfit was just what I wanted. UNIQLO pieces and Adidas shoes. 
Monochromatic.

2. Used my Priority Pass to access lounges. 
Wifi, coffee, and wine.

3. Met the most fun group of Deep Sea Oil Drilling professionals. We bonded during our 3 hour wait in line and then went out for Texas BBQ. Their field of industry is really interesting.
Best 'last meal' in Texas.

4. The 13 hour flight from DFW to NRT was so comfortable.
Movies On Demand.

5. The moment when you ask a flight attendant for more wine and they fill the entire glass.
Made my trip!

6. Had a credit added to my account for my connecting flight from NRT to FUK. I was able to purchase a hot cocoa and water bottle. 
Great start to an early morning!

7. Silver lining moment --- because my baggage was still in transit, my commute from the airport to my apartment was a little easier. Ok, it was a whole lot easier.
Cup's half full.


So after it's all be said and done, I had a wonderful trip.  Nothing about this was life threatening, only slightly inconvenient.  The most important thing is that I made it back safe and sound. I definitely learned a lot from this whole experience. I'm looking forward to putting my knew knowledge into practice for my summer vacation trip ... stay tuned!

"Traveling outgrows its motives. It soon proves sufficient in itself. You think you are making a trip, but soon it is making you - or unmaking you." - Nicolas Bouver, The Way of the World.