Sunday, May 28, 2017

Otsukare Kai - おつかれ かい


Beer Garden, Colet Department Store, Kokura Station

Once I got back to Japan I had a day before I had to report into the office for training, meetings, and VISA paperwork. I think the saying is, "I hit the ground running."

On Friday, May 26th I had a branch meeting and training session in Kokura. I had things to attend from morning until late afternoon so I packed my bag for the whole day.

I took a train out to Kokura and it felt like second nature. I was happy that I didn't feel out of place or as lost as I was expecting to.  I didn't even mind commuting during the heavy foot traffic hours. I squished into the train right alongside everyone else. For those of you who don't know, tight spaces or heavily crowded situations are usually things I stay away from. So the train commute was a small victory for me.

The meeting and training session went really well. I was happy to receive my school placement, materials, and new information about the upcoming school year.  I'm anticipating this year to be extremely busy, but that's good because it means that I'm actually carrying out English activities and lesson plans. I'm super excited!!!

After all of the work was done most everyone made their way to the Otsukare Kai, which translates roughly to "Thank you for the work you will do this year" party. 

The party venue was awesome --- Rooftop Beer Garden. 

Beer Gardens are frequented during the summer months and are extremely popular in Japan. Last year I wasn't able to visit any, so I was really excited when I found out about this party's location.

For this location [Beer Garden 12F, Colet Department Store, Kokura] we were charged 4,000 yen ($40) for 2 hours of all you can drink & eat. There was a variety of food offered including rice, curry, yakisoba, chicken, seafood, chilled vegetables, tofu ... etc. The drinks were what was impressive. There was ice cold beer on tap and an almost full bar (no tequila, just whiskey, vodka, and Japanese spirits) that you could serve yourself! --- I've always wanted to be a bartender so I was thrilled!

This was definitely my favorite work party to date. I really loved catching up with the office staff and returning teachers, as well as meeting all of 1st year teachers. 

I can't stress enough how much I am looking forward to this year. This party was exactly what I needed. Here are the pictures from the event ...


Mixed: Jim Beam, Soda Water, & Grapefuit 


When Yutaro, one of the restaurant staff asked if we wanted our picture taken we couldn't resist.


Umeshu on the rocks.


Friends from the start. --- Sagittarius x2 



Totemo tanoshi desu.

とても たのし です。

So much fun.