Saturday, June 10, 2017

Afternoon in Kokura


The day before my second school year began, I spent the afternoon in Kokura and enjoyed my last 'free day'. As fun as it is being an ALT, it can be extremely hectic and busy sometimes. Knowing this, I wanted to make sure I took advantage of my time off while I had it. So I jumped on a bus and had a mini adventure. 

I travel into Kokura all the time by train, but this was my first time going by bus. It definitely took a lot longer and it was actually more expensive.

Orio to Kokura by train - 370 yen, about 25 minutes
Orio to Kokura by bus - 530 yen, about 1 hour and 20 minutes

However, I was happy to do it because it gave me a new perspective of Kitakyushu. I saw areas I had never seen before. From now on I'll stick to the train, but it was nice to do once.

So here's how I spent my afternoon . . . 


Here is what Japanese currency (yen, ¥) looks like.
Currently the exchange rate is $1 = ¥110


Traveling over the Wakto Bridge


Kokura Station, Kitakyushu, Japan


Kokura Station, Kitakyushu, Japan


Walking from Kokura Station to Kokura River Walk


IZUTSUYA is one of my favorite high end department stores. I browsed through floor after floor and loved every second of it. It was sensory overload.


Kokura Castle, Kitakyushu, Japan


Kokura Castle Coy Pond, Kitakyushu, Japan


Kokura Castle, Kitakyushu, Japan


Kokura Castle, Kitakyushu, Japan


Kokura Castle, Kitakyushu, Japan


Kokura Castle, Kitakyushu, Japan


Kokura Castle, Kitakyushu, Japan


Kokura Castle, Kitakyushu, Japan


Kokura Castle, Kitakyushu, Japan


Kokura Castle, Kitakyushu, Japan


Kokura Castle, Kitakyushu, Japan


Kokura River Walk, Kitakyushu, Japan


Starbucks, Kokura River Walk, Kitakyushu, Japan

I ended my afternoon with a caramel macchiato at Starbucks and journal-ed about my speculations for this second school year. It was a peaceful afternoon and a perfect way to spend my last 'free day'. I left Kokura feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the new year.

P.S. Walking around Kokura never gets old. It's one of my favorite places to visit.