Thursday, June 29, 2017

Dinner in Fukuoka


On Tuesday, I traveled into Fukuoka after work to visit with my friend one last time before they flew back to the US. 


[insert story of wine stained LV bag]

I took a Limited Express train from Orio to Hakata and made it into the city by 6:20 p.m. The Limited Express train is unbelievably comfortable. There is so much leg room, storage, and there's no standing -- ever. I'm a huge fan!


When I arrived to the station, I put my school bag into a coin locker (so convenient) and then raced to the top of Hakata Station where the rooftop garden is. I was hoping to bring my friend there, but I wanted to visit it by myself first. It's my favorite part of coming into Fukuoka. I make sure to always stop by.



When I came back down to the station terminal, I walked outside to hail a taxi to Canal City. I guess I'd never been in Fukuoka during commuting rush hour, because I was surprised to see such a long line at the taxi stand. Usually, I can walk right up and get into a car. This time though, I waited in line and felt much more like the "Japanese salary man/woman" I always hear people talk about. It was a cool feeling. I didn't feel like a tourist. I felt like a local & kind of like Gossip Girl all at the same time.


When I finally met up with my friend, we grabbed a taxi together and headed to dinner. I had picked a sashimi restaurant for us to try --- click here to see the website. I used GURUNAVI (ぐるなゔい) the night before to look for restaurants that were foreigner friendly. Basically I was looking for places that had both English and Japanese menus, because I didn't want to be too surprised by whatever we would encounter.

The taxi ride to the restaurant was a little difficult because the address I had wasn't written in Japanese. 


[insert story of our conversation with the Taxi driver] 

It was written in romaji and it's not always guaranteed that taxi drivers will be able to decipher that character system. Next time I'll make sure to have both versions. Our driver was able to get us close enough, though. My friend and I found the restaurant by happen chance. The building was easy to find, but the floor it was on was more difficult. After we had unsuccessfully climbed all the way to the top, we were making our way back down when my friend turned the knob on a random door. We were both shocked to see the restaurant right in front of us. So lucky! -良かった!

Let's eat! - いただきます- itadakimasu

For dinner we ordered assorted sashimi, sushi, and edamame. As for our drinks, I had an umeshu (plum wine) and they had Asahi beer. The restaurant staff was patient and very helpful. I'm looking forward to going back to this restaurant in the future.



Thank you for the meal! - ごちそうさまですした - gochisousamadesushita

After dinner we walked through Tenjin and the Solaria shopping district with umbrellas that we picked up from the Family Mart across from the restaurant. Clear umbrellas are the standard in Japan. Everyone seems to have one. I was happy for it because it was easy to not only see my friend while we were walking and talking, but I could see everything else. Something I really love about Fukuoka is all of its city lights. I was already feeling nostalgic for Christmasas when we were walking around, because I remembered how beautiful Tenjin Christmas Market was last year. I can't wait to go again in a couple of months.

From Tenjin Station we took the Kuko subway line back to Hakata Station. Our train wasn't terribly crowded, but we did have to stand. Luckily, it was a quick ride.

[insert story of what its like to have me as a tour guide]

At Hakata we took the elevator to the 10th floor where the rooftop garden is. Even though it was raining, we still went. We walked through the Japanese garden and saw the city from the viewing center. When we heard thunder we headed back down to the station terminal. 


Instead of taking a taxi back to Canal City we decided to walk. There's a Starbucks across the street from Hakata Station and I was able to order a tall soy latte for the walk back. I was thrilled. Starbucks is still my one of my absolute favorite places.


The walk back was enjoyable, but definitely bitter sweet. Like I said in my last post, seeing a familiar face is great, but the homesickness that follows is something that I wasn't expecting. Still though, I'm so thankful for these visits I was able to have with my friend. I really can't believe that they were in Japan --- small world. And I'm selfishly hoping that they come back. Fingers crossed.