Friday, October 13, 2017

Oh, Osaka - Part 1

The second year is hard. I'm at the same school; living in the same apartment; and carrying out my same routine. It's a challenge to stay interested. Last year, everything was new and exciting. I was a guest. This year, I'm living like a local. Part of me is enjoying it and accepting of the challenge. But there's this small part of me that is not thriving. I notice it in the moments when I catch glimpses of the past. It's when I see students from last year; see a FB Memory of 1 Year Ago Today; or am invited to do something I've already done. Last year was a whirlwind of newness and I miss it. However, as challenging as it is to stay positive and active this year, it's something I need to do. I'm learning how to stay. For me, change is something I'm used to. It may not always be easy, but I usually know what to expect. Consistency though, is not something I'm well versed in. This year has been testing my patience. 


I have about 4 and a half months left here in Japan. Those months are going to pass by so quickly. Since I know my time is coming to an end, I'm doing my best to make the most of it. I'm starting to get sentimental. I'm set on returning stateside, but I'm going to miss Japan terribly.

I know I'm contradicting myself. I'm writing about my impatience and readiness to go, while at the same time expressing my sentiment for Japan and the life I have here. Honestly, this past year and half has been incredible. It's been more than I could have ever imagined. So as challenging as I'm finding it now, I can't help but love every single thing I'm going through. It's all bittersweet.



So as my time of being able to say, "I'm living in Japan" is coming close to an end, I'm filled with such appreciation and thankfulness for everything I've experienced. Japan has changed me, shaped me, and given me even more than I already know.

I'm on my way to Osaka as I'm writing this. I'm sitting in window seat 7-A on the Shinkansen Nozomi. I have my Spotify playlist on repeat, coffee in hand, and so many thoughts running through my head. Autumn is here and I couldn't be happier. This is my favorite time of year. The leaves are changing colors. The air is crisp. And it's perfect running weather. I'm gearing up for my 10K race in late November. 



I've been staying extra busy at school. A couple of weeks ago, there was an English Contest that some of my students competed in. I practiced with them during the weeks leading up to the competition. I was so impressed with their hard work and commitment. Their efforts did not go unnoticed either. One of my students was recognized for their recitation speech, while another student placed first in the original speech category. They will continue onto the prefecture competition later this year. I couldn't believe it when I heard the results! I may have actually cheered ... which is something Japanese people don't usually do at non-sporting events. I just couldn't contain my excitement.


This morning was even busier than normal. Before I left for Osaka, I went to my student’s track meet and also volunteered at an Elementary English event. It was a hectic but rewarding morning. I'd been preparing for the English event for the past couple of weeks. Now that's it over and was a success, I can relax a little. This trip to Osaka is a much needed break.

So, I'm headed to Osaka to meet my friend from the US. We played high school tennis together and have stayed friends since. She's backpacked through Europe twice and decided it was time for her to see part of Asia.

We have about 48 hours to spend in Osaka and we have a long list of things to do. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ja, mata ne.
じゃ、またね。
See you!