Sunday, October 22, 2017

Saturday Well Spent


On Saturday morning, I met Shoko-san at Tobata Station. We had tickets to attend a house tour and concert series. As we made our way to the event, I slowly began to wake up. I'm still not a morning person. I like mornings. I like getting up early, but I don't necessarily like interacting with people right away. I need time to myself first. Thankfully, our bus ride was long enough to allow me to wake up at my own pace. By the time we arrived, I was ready to be social.

As we approached the house, I could tell that this event was going to be something exceptional. It felt like stepping back in time. It didn't feel real. The property itself was a juxtaposition. The main home was designed to be European, while the connecting home and surrounding gardens were all designed in the traditional Japanese style. The property was beautiful in an unconventional way. 

After listening to the concert and walking through the main garden, we sat down for coffee and cake. It was all picture perfect. The weather was overcast and grey. It acted as a perfect backdrop for all of our photos. I could have stayed in the garden forever. It felt Gatsby-esque. 

Once we finished our cake set, we began the house tours. Since this was a private event and you had to be invited, the crowds were never too large. Touring the property was enjoyable because we didn't feel like we were fighting our way through a sea of people. The whole event was incredibly peaceful.

As much as I would have loved to stay there all day, I had to head back to Tobata Station to catch a train into Fukuoka City. K and I were planning to visit the Asics store and pick out new running shoes before meeting up with some American friends who were traveling through Japan. 

Take a look at my Saturday well spent . . . 























It's been about a month and a half since I've been to Fukuoka and I was definitely out of practice. The pace of the city is a lot faster than what I'm used to. There are crowds, traffic, and sensory overload. Once again I found myself saying, "I'm not thriving." These moments are becoming more frequent and they are testing my patience, but they are also challenging me to become better. 

I'm looking forward to my next trip into the city. The holiday season is here and lights will be strung soon. I can't wait for the Hakata and Tenjin Christmas Markets, as well as a long run through Ohori-koen in my new Asics. 

Time needs to slow down ... my four and a half months are slipping away. That's why I'm already planning my return trip for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.  Only 1,000 days to go. Who's in?!

XOXO,
M