Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thanksgiving 2017

Celebrating Thanksgiving felt just as foreign as it did last year. In Japan, they decorate for Halloween and once it's over they skip straight into Christmas. I'm not exaggerating when I say, Christmas came early this year. It's been here since the first of November. Because of that, I almost forgot about Thanksgiving. Even though I carried out Thanksgiving themed classes at my junior high school (we made the cutest 'I'm thankful for ... ' Turkey Hands),   I was simultaneously decorating Christmas themed bulletin boards. It got a little confusing.

Last year I spent Thanksgiving at school working, but this year I had the day off. Since Thanksgiving was on the same day as Japan's Labor Thanksgiving Day, there was no school.

So here's what I did . . .

I woke up early, bundled up, and headed into Fukuoka. I splurged and took a Limited Express train into the city - Happy Thanksgiving to me. I did a long run at Ohorikoen. K joined me for the last part of the course and then we had lattes at Starbucks. We walked around the park and watched in awe as runners flew past us. There was a race happening and these runners were serious --- short shorts, speed shoes, and long sprints. K and I's race is this weekend! I can't wait for it. I've finally decided on my running outfit and I have my playlist all set. It's going to be bitterly cold again, but I don't think it will rain.

Before leaving the city, I window shopped around Solaria Plaza in Tenjin, stopped by Dean and Deluca, and visited the Hakata Station Christmas Market.

When I got back to my apartment in the late afternoon, I put together my Thanksgiving meal: onigiri, fried chicken, and mixed vegetables. In the evening, I bundled up once again and set out to see the Christmas lights strung down the main street. And when I returned, I poured myself a glass of wine and warmed up the pecan pie bar I had bought from Dean and Delcua.

Take a look . . .












Although it was completely nontraditional, this Thanksgiving was wonderful. I loved being in the city, running through the park, having Starbucks, and seeing Christmas lights. The only things that were missing were my family and friends. Sure, Thanksgiving food is delicious, but I could go years without it. Family and friends on the other hand, well, two years is long enough. 

I'm looking forward to spending the next holiday season stateside. Running in Florida with my family and having Starbucks sounds perfect to me.

So as my Thanksgiving in Japan is coming to an end, I wanted to share what I'm giving thanks for this year. And just like last year, there are explanations behind every one of these things, but I'm keeping them to myself . . . 



XOXO,
M