Sunday, January 21, 2018

Sunday Afternoon at KMMA

This morning I woke up completely refreshed. I spent all of Saturday inside lounging. It was just what I needed. This past week was busy, busy, busy. It wasn't stressful though, which was nice for a change. 

Since it's the end of the year, a lot of the English lessons are focused on writing reports, opinion essays, and presentations. It's really fun for me to hear my students express their thoughts and opinions, but in order for them to do that, I first have to mark and correct their written English. It's a challenge. It's like playing Tetris, but with words. 

So after charade like conversations, a few edits with my red pen, and their own personality added in, a presentation like this comes together ...

Hello, everyone! My name is [insert common Japanese name like, たかひろ - Takahiro]. I live in Kitakyushu City. It's in the south of Japan. It's near the Kanmon Strait. It's famous for Mount Sarakura. There are many flowers and hiking trails. You can take a cable car to the top, or you can hike. You can enjoy seeing a beautiful view. It is about 622 meters tall. I'm proud of my city. It's a great city. Please visit it. Thank you for listening.

Now that they've written their presentations, they'll have about a week and a half to prepare for their oral presentation. I'm looking forward to hearing them! 

楽しみにして!

So after a lazy Saturday cooped up inside, I had big plans for my Sunday. 

I woke up, checked social media, got out of bed, stretched, said "Thanks", had a glass of water, made coffee, and then made some more. I also put on the WSJ What's News podcast so I could catch up on the current news headlines. 

This has been my morning routine since the start of this new year. And let me tell you, I'm loving it. The only part that I'm having difficulty with is checking social media right away. I need to break my habit of checking it first thing in the morning, but I wake up so excited to see how all of my American friends are living. Since I'm removed from that lifestyle, watching their stories and Snapchats is seriously like watching reality TV. 

After a few cups of coffee, I showered and got ready for my afternoon with Shoko-san. For my 25th brithday, Shoko-san got us tickets to see the Turner exhibit at the Kitakyushu Municipal Museum of Art, as well as made reservations for us to have lunch at the cafe. I've already said this multiple times, and I'll continue to say it, but I want to be like Shoko-san when I'm older.

This afternoon was absolutely perfect. Here's why . . .

1) We used public transportation. Not having a car in Japan is one of my most favorite things. It's unbelievably enjoyable for me to use public transportation. I like being a passenger. I like being able to look out the window and observe. It's easy to be a passenger in Japan because their public transportation is reliable, safe, and comfortable.

2) We both dressed in all black. I don't think I need to say anything more.

3) Our meal included a view and coffee. Most people eat out at restaurants for the food. I on the other hand, eat out for the atmosphere and aesthetic. Today's traditional Japanese meal of salad, vegetables, fish, soup, and rice, was not only delicious, but was set it the most pleasant space. From the blonde wood and white interior to the view and simple tableware, I didn't want to change a thing. If anything, I was trying my best to take mental notes of all the details because I wanted to recreate the design. 

4) We strolled through an art museum. Art museums are high on my list of favorite places to spend time. They succeed libraries because of their visual appeal and scale. When I walk into an art museum I feel at peace. All the noise in my head quiets down and I relax. 


6) We saw everything. Since coming to Japan I've learned to appreciate waiting. Waiting in lines is a common practice here. People form lines and wait in lines for everything. It seems to be a celebrated practice. And what I've come to find, is that by waiting for something I gain so much more than what I was expecting to. Today, I saw the whole Turner exhibit, as well as all of the other artwork displayed in the Kitakyushu Municipal Museum of Art. We saw everything. And because we took our time and waited, I was able to make connections and notice details that I most likely would have passed or dismissed if I was left to my own devices. 

Today was another outing that shaped me. I returned home with a different perspective and with an inspired style. I feel like I added another piece to my puzzle. 

Take a look at my afternoon at the Kitakyushu Municipal Museum of Art . . . 












XOXO,
M