Saturday, July 23, 2016

Adventure: Tobata Gion Festival

---
Announcement: Be assured that I still love my job, my students, and my schools. However, I am making some changes to my blog. I will no longer be making single "weekday" entries. I'm going to do a "weekly recap" post that will include personal life details, but nothing about work; and "weekend adventure" posts that will chronicle my unique experiences. It's come to my attention that this it the best solution. 
---

On a lighter note ...

... today's adventure.




July 23, 2016 - Today was a full full of adventures.  I woke up, checked the train schedule, go dressed, and headed out to meet up with R and B. We planned to meet at the Starbucks in the Futajima AEON at 1pm. I took an early train and got there about 45 minutes beforehand. I wanted to drink my coffee and look around some stores.  Hushush was having a sale ... I steered clear.

When I met up with R and B we stayed at Starbucks and talked for a while. We had a lot to catch up on. We then headed out to explore Wakamatsu. R was our TAXI DRIVER. There was so much they had to show us.


Stop #1 - Fadie's Cafe & Grocery Market




It's a coffee shop and grocery mart. Their prices are extremely reasonable and they have a wide variety. I cannot wait to go back and try their coffee bar. They also sell coffee beans from around the world and will grind them for you.  *There was also another market across that we went to go explore. Look at the sushi selection we found! 






 Stop #2 - KOMEDA'S Coffee
A local coffee shop and sandwich shop. I ordered a pizza pie but accidentally ate half of R's sandwich. We didn't realize what had happened until halfway through the meal. We ended up each eating half of each other's order. It all worked out. 






Stop #3 - COSTCO
Can you believe it? There are multiple Costco's in Japan and they are exactly the same. I walked in and felt like I was having deja vu.  I felt like I was back home with my parents shopping at Costco on the weekend. Everything was the same. 


I'm probably going to go back and get a sleeve of Einstein Bagels (blueberry) and an Adirondack tan utility coat later this week.


Stop #4 - Trial Discount Warehouse & the Boat Race Stadium
R drove us to the Trial Discount Warehouse in Futajima. Their prices were unbelievable. I think that when I have to get dry goods and household cleaning supplies that is where I will go.  Across the street is the stadium where they have boat races. I don't think I'll have time to go this summer, but when the school year starts it's on my list of things to do. R said the races are free to watch and they have amazing donut stands inside! --- sounds like a great time!

Stope #5 - Overview of Wakamatsu Ward



We drove up an incredibly steep hill to be met with the most spectacular view.
I could have stayed up there for hours. I'm planning a trip to go back. But, when I go back I'm taking the stairs and climbing the hill.  It's going to be a killer workout.


Next week Wakamatsu Ward is having their Firework Festival. I won't be able to watch from the top of this lookout point, but I will be by the water taking it all in. 

Stop #6 - Wakamatsu Fairy Port
R dropped B and I off at the Fairy Port and helped us navigate buying tickets. Turns out it's incredibly simple and convenient to take the fairy from Wakamatsu to Tobata. We had the best ride. The views were incredible and it was so much to be on the water.



Stop #7 - Tobata Gion Festival  
B and I walked from the Tobabta Fairy Port to Tobata Station where we followed the massive crowd to the Tobata Gion Festival. This was by far the best adventure I've had since coming to Japan. I truly felt like a local. There was a huge pathway flanked with food stands on either side. We had fun looking at all the booths. I stopped at the "Pineapple on Stick" stand and also tracked down Kirin Beer on tap. B got strawberries covered in a sugar syrup. They almost looked too pretty to eat.







We walked around for a while just taking it all in. The parade started at 7 pm, so at about 6:45 we began to look for a place to watch from. We found a spot on the street level and were squished between hundreds of people. I could not believe the turn out.



The parade was magical. --- a time I'll never forget.

Stop #8 - Tobata Fairy Port
We took the fairy back across to Wakamatsu Ward, walked to Wakamatsu Station, and took the train back to our stations.