Thursday, July 28, 2016

Weekly Update: July 25-28


Happy Friday, everyone! My weekend starts now ... after a couple of hours of work, of course. So here is my week in review - Monday through Thursday. It was a fun filled, busy week that flew by. 

The High's: seeing my first robot at the Fukuoka airport for ANA Airlines, 

& finding shipping container stores in Fukuoka.

The Low's: stumbling all over myself while trying to order anything in Japanese, 

& running out of the green trash bags for disposing of plastic containers**.

But, I wouldn't change a single thing. 

Thanks reading!

- M

**Recycling and garbage disposal are practices Japan takes very seriously. Since I ran out of green trash bags for disposing of plastic containers, I am unable to have my plastics collected this week. I have to make sure I buy green bags before next Friday or else I will begin to look like a hoarder of plastic. That's not a look I'm after. At least I didn't run out of blue bags for combustible, everyday trash --- that would truly be an unpleasant issue.

July 25, 2016 - Today was a Work Day. I traveled by bus to and from the assignment. It was a fun filled day. I'm really enjoying public transportation. I like being a passenger and taking in the sights.

There's not much I can report today since I spent my whole day working. When I got home to my apartment I made some food and kind of just crashed.  Even though it was a long day and I was exhausted, I loved the feeling. I worked --- I wasn't a zombie just going through the motions. I was doing something I love and I was fully present. Exhausted but happy.




July 26, 2015 - Today was a Work Day. I took care of my assignments in the afternoon and when I was finished I went on a walk. On Work Day's I cannot travel too far, so I decided to just walk around my neighborhood and continue to explore. I also did some window shopping at the department store above SunLive. I should be getting my first paycheck this week ... I probably won't have any spending money, but it's fun to dream. 

For dinner I picked up a pack of sushi at SunLive. During the afternoon I had cooked a bunch of vegetables, rice, and eggs for the rest of the week. I didn't want to dig into it all just yet so I bought sushi. I also splurged and finally bought the red bean filled pancake bites I'd been eyeing for the past few trips to the store. They were oishii - delicious.









I ended my night by making a cup of coffee and streaming the Today Show. I always have to watch the episode for the day prior, but it's comforting to watch familiar faces. I've been making a real effort to keep up with current events not only in America and Japan, but worldwide. I have a list of podcasts that I listen to, news recap websites I read, and Twitter feeds I follow. It all helps. I'll be returning to America for vacation in a couple of weeks and I know it's inevitable that I'll feel out of touch and behind. I just want to do my best to reduce the time it takes me to readjust.







July 27, 2016 - Today was a Work Day. I didn't start adventuring until later in the afternoon. I left my apartment at about 15:00 and headed east. I didn't have a real plan or anything in particular I was looking for, I just wanted to explore.


I headed east but I took so many twists and turns I'm pretty sure I ended up doing a big figure eight loop. I was all over the place. I do have to say though, the more I explore the more of an understanding I have of my area. It's finally starting to feel manageable. For the most part I know where I am. It's nice to finally have a sense of direction.

Here's what I found today . . . 




Everything is greener here.




A flower store that sold drift wood.





A cute neighborhood.




A stunning view.


Patisserie Leo - a bakery near Orio Station.


Matcha pan covered with sugar and filled with matcha cream.


Matcha Meringue - - - melt in my mouth goodness.


Aloevera Water at 7-11 --- best drink ever!


A day well spent.




July 28, 2016 - Today was a Training Day. I made my way to Fukuoka for the meeting. The meeting wasn't until later in the afternoon so I had some time to explore the city beforehand. I had a specific agenda for today. 


  • Visit and navigate the Fukuoka Airport
  • Look at hotel options
  • Check into options for transporting and storing luggage
  • Find the Starbucks near the office 
My trip to America is fast approaching. It will be here before I know it. I wanted to take the time today to prepare myself for what is to come. In a couple of weeks I have to get myself and my luggage to the airport. This should be simple, but this is my first time navigating public transportation on my own with luggage. I have a couple ideas of what I can do ... I just haven't decided on anything yet. It's tricky because I don't need to bring much to America, but when I leave America and head back to Japan, I will have a lot more with me -- my current dilemma. 


Orio Station to Hakata Satation --- one of my absolute favorite train rides.


Fukuoka Airport

I made it to the Fukuoka Airport and now feel a million times better about my upcoming trip. I don't mind trying new things at all, I just like to be as prepared as possible. The Fukuoka Airport is not terribly large. It felt a lot like Love Field in Dallas, TX. I stayed at the airport longer than I planned because I had so much fun looking around. There are some neat restaurants inside and even a Uniqlo. 

Now that I've ventured out to the airport and planned my route, I am so excited for my trip!


I also have another mission for the next time I'm at the airport: Get a picture with Pepper. Pepper is a human shaped robot that works at the ANA Airline check in. I could not believe it. I saw a real live robot today! I am kicking myself for not taking a picture. Here's one from the ANA site ... 



Next stop ... Hakata Station to check out hotels.




Fun Fact: I can count on my hand the number of times I used a backpack in college. Now, I don't travel anywhere without my backpack. Things change.





Fukuoka Airport Subway


Family Mart coffee with two creams

I made it back to Hakata Station. I went walking around to all of the hotels I had marked on my list of potential options. I found a hotel and booked a room for my trip. Everything is starting to come together. Success!



Also, at the station I checked into my options for storing luggage. It should be pretty easy.

I then ventured on to find the Starbucks near the office for training. I like to go into all of my meetings with caffeine ... it's truly a bonus when it's Starbucks.  I tracked down the Starbucks without using my GPS --- huge success!



Starbucks, Fukuoka City, Tenjin Station


On my way to the office I came across some of the most spectacular buildings.





1) The ACROS Building is something I have been wanting to see. I was so excited when I stumbled upon it today. It's truly a green building.




Shipping Container Stores, Fukuoka City


2) A strip of stores housed in shipping containers -- I geeked out!  Someone almost ran into me because I stopped so quickly. One of the stores was a PINKBERRY --- I'll definitely be back to revisit this area.

GOAL: Own a shipping container home, building, store ... something!
I love this concept so much.





After training I headed back home with C and B. It was a long day, but so much fun!

I love the cities I have access to. I'm excited to come home to America for vacation, but I also am so excited to have more exploration and more adventure to return to.

For the train ride back I picked up two sesame seed dumplings filled with red beans. 

Oishii - delicious!

Watching me order these dumplings was a whole other story. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing so well with my Japanese. And then, moments like this happen. I froze and I couldn't not form the question I wanted to ask. I just stood there, frozen. It took me a moment to even think to point to what I wanted. Moments like these only push me harder --- I'll be downloading more Innovative app Japanese lessons.



Sesame Seed Dumpling w/ Red Beans