Sunday, December 25, 2016

24th


Once I completed my to-do list and workout, I got my self cleaned up and headed out to Kokura. I went the with intention to walk through the illumination and have a drink at Starbucks. I planned it to be a simple night. What ended up happening was even better than I could have planned. It was magical.

First of all, I felt so chic. I wore my black booties, high-waisted black jeans, a black turtle neck, and a faux suede bomber jacket. I also curled my hair and did my makeup. It's really enjoyable to be able to take my time getting ready. I don't have to rush anywhere because I'm on winter break.

My walk to the train station was quiet. I thought there would be more people out and about, but I was wrong. However, when I got to my platform and was heading to the que, I ran into some of my students. I was so shocked. I walked past their bench and heard a faint, "Mickey?"  I immediately turned around and still didn't recognize them. Without their school uniforms on they look like young adults. I tried to complement their clothes, but I'm not sure if they understood. Regardless, I had the best time talking with them. It was refreshing and just what I needed on this night.


Instead of getting off at the station closer to the River Walk, I made an in the moment decision to get off at Kokura Station. I'm glad I did because I ended up treating myself to a few Christmas gifts. I walked into Colet, a huge department store, and made my way through all of the boutiques. I literally felt like I was walking on cloud nine. I was just gliding through the stores. I came across a coat and was done for. The sales associate helped me try it on and I was in love. I was even able to tell her in Japanese that I was going to buy it, but I wanted to keep looking around the store first. She was so nice and helpful. She spoke a little English and I was very appreciative.

I did a little more browsing after buying the coat. There was so much to see. On my way out of Colet, I caught Z A R A out of the corner of my eye. I'm pretty sure I said, "Oh My!", out loud and little too loudly. I caught some people staring.

In ZARA I found the boots I've been wanting and seeing on all of the blogs I follow. It was fate ... it had to be. I left ZARA with a pair of suede over the knee boots, and a pair of black knee length leather boots with a full gold zipper in the back. I also snagged a dark green blanket scarf. Oh, I was so happy!

There is so much more I wanted to buy, but I need to pace myself. I have to buy practically because I don't want a closet full of trendy clothes that I can't wear to school or work meetings. A closet full of "weekend/off the clock wear" just isn't going to work right now.


I found a locker in Kokura Station and stored my shopping bags. I then headed for the River Walk. Originally, I had planned to just walk through the illumination display and then sit at Starbucks. But, I ended up walking through the illumination display multiple times and then choosing Tully's coffee as my place to sit and enjoy the scene. Tully's was a perfect choice.

So here's my favorite part of the night ...

I walked into Tully's and grabbed a menu. I always pre-plan exactly what I'm going to order because I want to try my best to use Japanese at the register. I must've been staring at the menu a little too hard, or I looked completely out of place, because a barista popped up in front of me and asked, "Is there something I can help you with?". I quickly glanced up and he motioned over to the far register. I ordered a tall chocolate & matcha mocha. I didn't even know this existed until tonight. It's now my favorite drink. --- sorry Starbucks.

Tully's is located on the river front, so I took my cup outside to enjoy the view. I was settling in when the same barista came outside. He asked me, "Would you like a blanket? It's cold out here." I was surprised, because I've never been anywhere where they offered something like this before. I said, "Yes! That would be great!". When he came back it wasn't just a blanket, it was a blanket that had been heated up because it was warm to the touch. I had the most enjoyable time reading my magazine, journaling, and updating my calendar for 2017 because I was warm and cozy. I'm never going to forget the hospitality that I experienced at this Tully's. It definitely made an impression on me. [Thanks Yuta.]


Magic was in the air.