Sunday, December 25, 2016

25th


Christmas has been in the air all season long. I've loved every minute of it. It took me forever to fall asleep on Christmas Eve because I was filled with promise of Christmas. Even though this year has proved to be 'non-traditional', I've enjoyed all that has come my way. I've still felt the holiday spirit and have found ways to give myself little pieces of home.

So this morning, I woke up bright and early because I had scheduled a FaceTime with my family. It was Christmas Eve for them, and Christmas morning for me. The time difference sure is a struggle, but we've got a good system going.

I also put together a breakfast spread that I'm obsessed with. If you don't know, I love to travel. Airports and plane rides are two of my most favorite things. For a Christmas gift to myself I put together the kind of breakfast I get when I fly internationally ...




{ fresh fruit, mixed nuts, almond cheese, granola & yogurt, water & a mimosa } 

While I was getting ready to head into Fukuoka, I had the Polar Express streaming on Netflix. I had started it the night before, but hadn't been able to finish it. It's a Christmas tradition. I watch it every year. So here's how I had planned to spend my day:


Window Shopping through AMU Plaza & PARCO

Browsing through UNIQLO

Illumination Viewing


As to be expected, my plans changed when I arrived in Fukuoka City. They definitely changed for the better. I did cross off everything from my list above, but I also happened upon stores, scenes, and people I was not expecting.

The hour train ride into Hakata Station was enjoyable. I had a seat from the beginning and was able to enjoy the Spotify Playlist: Christmas Peaceful Piano. Once I got to Hakata I made my way outside to walk through the Christmas market. The lights were just being turned on when I got there, and there was live music on the stage. There was a mix of English and Japanese Christmas music being sung.

I took some time to explore the AMU Plaza, and I'm glad I did. It's like I found a whole other world. I walked down hallways of restaurants, cafes, and even found a Starbucks Reserve. I had never been through the underground pathways before. It's a really neat system. When I surfaced to street level it was dark and the Christmas lights were in full force. I made my way through the levels of AMU Plaza to the top where UNIQLO is located. I didn't buy anything all day --- just window shopped.

After AMU Plaza, I took the Kuko Subway line to Tenjin Station. Without even exiting the station I was able to walk into PARCO. It's another huge department store that is multi level, and even more magnificent than AMU Plaza. There's a little cafe that serves coffee, matcha, and redbean drinks. It's so JAPAN! The whole place was buzzing with Christmas. Before browsing through the stores, I walked outside to see the light display. I started walking and before I knew it I was in the middle of SOLARIA Ward. I think I died and I went to heaven. I literally stood at a crosswalk and did a full turn. My eyes were met with Tiffany & Co., Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Celine, Starbucks, Urban Research, Cartier, ... and the list goes on.



Walking down side streets I came across ZARA, H&M, Forever 21, and a free standing Adidas store! It was perfect and I cannot wait to go back and pick out a full Adidas outfit. When I walked I said, "Konbanwa!" to the sales associates, and did a double take when I saw two foreigners in the corner. They caught me by surprise and I said, "Oh! Hello!". They laughed at me and said, "Hello!" back. I do this every time I see someone who looks like they possible speak English. I just say 'Hi!' without even being able to stop myself. I just get so happy.


After much restraint, I left the Adidas store empty handed and headed to the Tenjin Christmas Market. It was packed! I got a cup of hot wine (my new favorite holiday drink) and found a standing table. I was enjoying the scene and the music when someone came up to me. They were learning English and I was happy to speak with them. Eventually though, they asked me to marry them. It was sweet, but I finished my wine and left in peace.

I made my way back to PARCO and tackled every floor. I was on sensory overload. Afterwards, I took the subway back to Hakata and did some more exploring.


The rooftop of Hakata Station is open to the public. It has bistro tables, a traditional Japanese garden, and vantage points for viewing the whole city. I ordered a Starbucks latte from one of the many stores I saw that night (7 in total) and enjoyed it from the roof. That was definitely one of my favorite parts of the night.




Christmas really is my most favorite time of the year. I love everything about it and I believe in the magic. So when my night was coming to an end I started to get a little sad. I didn't like to think that Christmas would soon be over and another year would be starting. So I put my phone in my bag and stopped taking pictures. I figured I needed to focus and let myself be truly present in the moment. As I was walking back towards the train station, I stopped myself. I turned and headed back into the Hakata Christmas Market for one more cup of hot wine. I'm telling you, I just couldn't let Christmas be over.


Still, with my phone tucked away, I found a barrel table and enjoyed myself. This was by far the best part of my night. I let myself be surrounded by the energy that comes from large crowds. It felt Gatsby-esque, a little unreal. 



As I was finishing my drink, 2 men came up to my table. I used my Japanese to let them know that it was "Ok." to share the space. One of them smiled while the other laughed and started speaking English. I was so happy. We talked for a little bit and then I left for my train. It was a nice encounter.

I was searching for a trash can (they're seriously hard to find in Japan) when I came across the Dean and Deluca grocery store. I stopped dead in my tracks and ran inside. This was my first time to visit one and I instantly understood what all the fuss is about. I picked out a few pastries, even though I wanted the whole store.

The train ride back to my apartment was crowded at first, but eventually I was able to find a seat. I used my scarf as a blanket, popped in my earbuds, and got comfortable. It was a cozy ride back.


I didn't get back to my apartment until just after midnight. Obviously, I couldn't go to sleep right away. I was too excited from the day's events. So I made myself a midnight snack and probably ate too many of the pastries. 

 
As non-traditional as this day was, I wouldn't change anything about it. It's a Christmas I'll always remember and one that I am extremely proud of. And I'm happy to say, "I can still hear the bells ring."

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a goodnight. 

Xoxo,

M