Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Happy 6 Months!


I'm not even sure how to start this blog post. I'm in a little of a funk. It's the weather. I know it is. I have never been so unbelievably cold in my life. I'm from Texas, and even though it does get 'cold', it doesn't compare to what I'm experiencing here. And to think, I'm only in southern Japan. I don't know how I would survive up north. I've started buying Uniqlo's HEATTECH clothing pieces, and swear by them. They've certainly helped. But what I've come to notice is that there is no place where I ever feel warm. Even when I'm inside the school building, inside my apartment, or on the bus, I'm cold. The other day when I was asking my students, "How do you feel? Are you hot, cold, or O.K.?" Most of them replied,  "I'm cold". I was only able to tell them that I was "O.K." because I was wearing 4 layers --- a HEATTECH base layer, a long sleeve turtle neck, a full sweater, and a puffy jacket. I had to have looked like a penguin. But for once, I was "O.K.".  



So about this funk ... I'm still loving my time here in Japan --- don't worry about that. I'm just finding it difficult to blog. My focus has shifted from 'adventuring' to 'carrying out my daily routine'. During the week my focus is on school and talking myself into going to the gym. Trust me, it's a task. I also have such a good time listening to US news podcasts; reading current events; and poetry. I didn't realize how much I would crave reading English. My Mom sent me magazines last week and I'm having the best time going through them and reading them page by page. I would have never done that in the US. I would have picked up a magazine and only mindlessly flipped through it. But now, I can't get enough. I find myself not only asking the question "Why?" more often, but also going out of my way to find the answer. I look words up in the dictionary now. I'm painfully aware of how poor my spelling and vocabulary are, and am trying to improve them. I have a better understanding of the meaning behind many American holidays and the way in which our government works. As glad as I am to have learned all of this, I'm frustrated in myself for having to learn it this late in my life. I know I'm not supposed to have regrets, but I should have asked questions and engaged in discussions of American history, politics, and government. I also should have challenged myself to not only memorize then information in grade school, but actually learn and understand it. So I'm making up for it now --- better late than never.





Since my weeks stay busy, my weekends are for relaxing and Japanese Conversation Lessons. I read my first Japanese word the other day and could not have been more excited. Learning the characters is a      s   l    o      w  process. I don't study nearly as much as I should. However, I'm getting there. 


Japanese Conversation Table

Now that I've been in Japan for 193 days ... about 6 months, my reasons for keeping this blog are changing. I'm still using it as a journal, I'm just needing to adjust my approach. At the moment I'm not sure what I want to do, but I'll have to decide soon. I just know that I will be changing the way I update. "Weekly Updates & Weekend Recaps" are starting to become too monotonous --- school/work, gym, language lessons.  

So for now I'll leave you with this ...



"I'm turning 24 in in 12 days and finally feel my age. I'm so happy."

Orio Train Station

Merry Christmas! 

This is has been my first holiday season away from my family and friends. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't homesick and didn't miss them, because I really do. But, I'm so thankful for the people I've met, the friends I've made, and the people I work with. Spending the holidays abroad is tough, but Japan's hospitality has made it so much easier.  

Xoxo,

M