Saturday, December 17, 2016

Twenty-Four



Another year has come and gone. I finally feel my age. Don't worry --- it's a good thing. I've always had that feeling of not being old enough. In many situations I feel like a little kid and out of place. This year, that feeling is gone. I've gained confidence in myself and it's showing. I'm giving my move to Japan credit for this. 

I'm a different person than I was a year ago. A better, stronger person. There's a lot I want to accomplish this year, personally and professionally. I've taken the time to write out my 5 year plan and future speculations. I've also invested in what I think is my best purchase yet, a 5 year leather planner. It's beautiful and pure motivation. 



Spending my birthday in Japan is different. Since I'm not home with my family and am not going out to dinner with them, we scheduled a time to FaceTime together. Even though I'm sad and I know that it's hard on them, I keep reminding myself that I had to leave the house eventually.

This is how I'm celebrating this year:

- a grapefuit mimosa & eggs for breakfast

- opening my Birthday card from my family & FaceTiming with them

- a trip to Starbucks and window shopping 

- a traditional Japanese lunch with my Japanese teacher

- decorating my own "Happy Birthday" angel food cake

I have a feeling that this year is going to be something special. 

Happy Birthday to me!

- - - 

In my last post I was trying to determine my reason for this blog. It's been two weeks and I finally realized what it is. This blog is my outlet. As much as my family and friends are there for me, I can't always tell them everything. Sometimes I forget, or we run out of time, or life gets busy and conversations are hard to make. This blog is always there. It's my way to share and remember the things I'm experiencing. So, I'll keep posting and keep using this as my public diary. Because like I've said before, "I blog because I want to recount my experiences when my mind no longer can."


So here's what you missed. 
In the last two weeks I've ...

- worked at my junior high schools & had two successful international exchange events.

- attended a foreign friendly "English Christmas Party".

- attended a company career development event.

- became a BigBang fan after attending their concert in Fukuoka.

- not made it to the gym as often as I would have liked to.

- felt the Christmas spirit in the air. Hakata Station Christmas Market is beautiful!

- had the most wild "deja vu" experience. 

- spent the week with foreign exchange students from Malaysia and didn't want them to leave.

-  organized my files and work material.

- attended a work Christmas party and learned about the concept of  忘年会 (bonekai), "forget the year gathering."

- challenged myself to show my work.

- received an unexpected opportunity.

It's been a great two weeks. A lot has happened, and I'm sad I didn't write it down. I learned my lesson, this blog is for me and I don't want to stop it. To anyone who is reading this, thank you, I'm happy that you're here. 

Until next time,

M