Thursday, December 29, 2016

Year In Review 2016


As the new year is quickly approaching and I am saying my last goodbye's to everything twenty-sixteen, I wanted to take the time to do three important things.

1) Reflect - I sat outside at a cafe, bundled up in a blanket, and wrote a letter to myself about this past year. I filled it with the lessons I've learned, changes I've made, and memories of my time well spent. I sealed the letter and stored it away. Years from now when I come across it, I'll happily indulge in all that 2016 was for me. 

2) Acknowledge & Give Thanks - I like to believe that I am independent and that I can do things for myself. However, I quickly learned upon moving to Japan how dependent I am on the people in my life. Family, friends, co-workers, strangers passing by; they all contribute to the experiences and life that I have. I would be remiss to think that I could live and thrive without them. Thanks y'all!

3) Plan Ahead - I love lists. I like to make them, read them, and cross things off of them. Lists make me happy. So every year I take great pleasure in making my New Year's Resolutions and Continuances list.  I'll be sharing my list in the next post.

So here is my past year at a glance . . .



. . . click here to see what 2016 looked like around the world.

"Everything eventually comes to an end. But when one door closes, another one opens." This cliche has proven to be true time after time again. Sitting here at my apartment in southern Japan, I am reminded of just how quickly time goes by. It seems like just yesterday I was graduating college, moving home, and looking for my first 'real-world' job. But that was over a year and a half ago. Since then, I've taken an interest in non-profit organizations; challenged myself physically by completing my 2nd half marathon; and have taken a huge risk by moving to Japan to work as an Assistant Language Teacher (ALT). 

As I reflect on 2016 I am proud of what I've accomplished, but extremely humbled because I know that I did not do any of this alone. Even though sometimes I become reclusive and withdraw from social situations because I enjoy having time to myself, it doesn't mean that I am naive to the fact that the people around me have contributed to the opportunities and successes that have come my way. 

So thank you, everyone! Thank you for the continued support, encouragement, and tough love when I needed it the most. Without your help and guidance, it would've taken me a whole lot longer to get to where I am today. 

I am moving forward into 2017 with a clear purpose and vision. Of course, I will continue to be flexible and open-minded to all that comes my way. But if 2016 was a year of change, I am planning for 2017 to be a year of growth. 


Thanks for following along as I...


Best wishes for the new year,

M