Friday, December 23, 2016

Merry Christmas!




Spotify playlist on repeat: Country Christmas


Spending the Christmas holiday on my own is unlike anything I thought it would be.

It's surprising peaceful

I've realized, very quickly, how much I've taken for granted in the past. I never thought about not being with my family for the holiday's because it's never been an option. This year though, I'm living in Japan and am thousands of miles away. I have a new reality and it doesn't include being home for holiday's. So as peaceful as it's been 

--- walking through illumination displays, window shopping, drinking coffee at cafes --- 

I miss the chaos
I miss dishes in the sink because there's still cooking and baking taking place. I miss holiday music playing through the whole house, just a little too loudly. I miss having a pot of coffee brewing all day. I miss lounging in my Christmas pajamas and sitting on the couch. I miss the Christmas "buzz" that happens when family is together. 
As much as I miss my family and being with them, I'm still so thankful to be here in Japan. I'm glad to have this time to realize and adjust my perspective of what's important to me. I'll be home for Christmas next year because I don't want to miss it again. Once is enough.