Saturday, February 17, 2018

2 Contract Years, 21 months

On Friday, February 16th I attended my last Interac party. 

After getting home from work, I quickly changed and retouched my makeup before catching a train into Kokura. As I was rushing to grab my train, I ran into the principal of my junior high school -- small world, えん. I was so excited to see her! We chatted as we waited and we were lucky enough to find seats together on the train. I'll never forget that by chance meeting. It was just what I needed at that moment.

We parted ways at Kokura Station and I headed to the dinner party. The usual crowd turned out for this gathering and I couldn't have been happier. Even though we don't get together often, when we do it's always a good time. Tonight was terribly bitter sweet. Over nabe and nomihodai and a tequila tonic at Bob's, we made new memories and reminisced on past ones. It was time well spent and a time I'll always remember. 

Here are the somewhat blurry snapshots from the night .  .  . 












And if I had given a speech, this is what I would've said . . .

Hello, everyone!

I`m Micaela. I`ve been with Interac`s Kitakyushu Branch for two contract years. When I applied with Interac I expressed no preference in where I was placed. I just wanted to be in Japan as soon as possible.

Being assigned to the Kitakyushu Branch is something I`ll always be thankful for. I`ve had the best experience, and it`s largely due to their support and guidance. This past year, I have taught in one junior high school. It`s been wonderful, but trying at times. What was absolutely great was knowing that the office staff and other teachers were always available and willing to offer support. I never had that feeling of being an after thought. 

I`m sad to say that this is my last contract year. I`m returning to America in less than two weeks. But I knew that I if I didn`t decide to leave now, I never would. I seriously love living here.

For those of you who are staying, I wish you continued success in your schools and with your life in Japan. Know that I`m envious of you. And for those of you who are setting out on your next adventure, I wish you the best of luck! I`m really happy that I`ve had the chance to get to know all of you. I think we`re a pretty great group.

Thanks y`all!

XOXO,
M