Friday, February 23, 2018

Two Years Too Soon


I'm officially a retired Assistant Language Teacher. 

On Friday, I cleaned out my desk, locked the English room, and said my last goodbyes. For two years, this school has been the most consistent part of my routine. It hasn't always been easy, but it was always worth it. The students, teachers, and staff made me love my job. I'll never forget the time we spent together. 

Here is the last message I left to my students . . . 




And here is the message I left for the ALTs that are taking my place . . .

February 2018 

Dear X and X,

     Before I forget,

"How are you? What day is it? What`s the date? How`s the weather? What time is it?"

     These are the questions that are used to start every single class. You`ll want to remember them. I`ve also left you with days of the week, months of the year, and weather picture cards. They are in your ALT desk along with other materials that you are welcome to use. 

     Additionally, there are pictures, other materials, and the 25 Things picture cards in the English room that can be used for karuta games and the Wakaba class. Please look through everything. This desk and the English room are yours now. Everything is fair game --- especially the stickers. I`ve left my extra Daiso Disney stickers for you to use, as well as the sticker sheet that grade 2 and 3 students used to collect their stickers. The grade 1 students put them on their old name cards.

     This past week has been busy for me and all of the other teachers. They know that you are coming, but I`m not sure what your schedule is going to be like. My best advice: be flexible with everything and smile! I really do think that the students, teachers, and staff, are going to love working with you.

     If there`s anything you have questions about or are concerned with, all the teachers are helpful and kind. Please do not hesitate to ask them. However, the English teachers and the principal speak great English!

     Lastly, I know you`re only here for a couple of weeks, but I hope that you leave your mark on X Junior High School. Eat lunch with the students, talk to them in the hallways, make posters, decorate the English boards (one is located outside of the principal’s office and the other is outside of the English room), make name cards, make worksheets, come up with games/activities, and try your best to be someone they feel comfortable and want to speak with. 

     For two years I`ve encouraged communication. Whether it`s perfect English or broken English, all English is good English.

     I hope you that you have the best time here! Good luck!



All the best, 

Micaela "Mickey" White



- - - 

In the words of Winnie the Pooh, 
"How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard." 




XOXO,
M