Sunday, December 10, 2017

Early 25th Birthday Weekend


I really love how I've been spending my weekends.

- - - 

Another week has come and gone. This one flew by particularly fast. Before I knew it, it was Friday. I was actually sitting at my desk dating my time sheet when I blurted out, "Tomorrow's Friday. It just can't be Friday." Swap Friday for Thursday and I was quoting Breakfast at Tiffany's. Part of me was thrilled because Breakfast at Tiffany's is my all time favorite movie, but the other part of me was trying to figure out where the week had gone. 

This week was incredibly busy. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were spent preparing for the international English events that I was hosting on Thursday and Friday. I hosted these same events last year, so at least I knew what to expect. However, there was still a lot to do.

The events were a success and I breathed a sigh of relief when they were over. I can't thank the visiting university students, JHS JTEs, and my students enough for their hard work and cooperation. Without all of their support, Thursday and Friday would have not been possible.

I have another busy two weeks ahead of me. My school is hosting Malaysian Home Stay students and I have to plan and prepare some activities for them. It's going to be fun to have more English speakers around, however, there is a lot that needs to be prepared. 

I can already feel myself beginning to take a deep breath .... Monday is just about here.

So before I get back to enjoying the last few hours of my weekend, let me tell you how I spent it.

On Saturday, I slept in and stayed warm under the covers. I'm not as cold as I was last year. Last year I was freezing all the time. I remember being miserably cold. This year though, I'm doing alright. I'm cold, but not miserable. What's even crazier is that I'm actually enjoying it. I really am a December baby.

In the late afternoon, I headed into Fukuoka. I had something special planned for myself . . . 

I'm turning 25 in 8 eight days. Since I have a busy week and weekend ahead of me, I decided to celebrate my birthday a little early. This weekend I have a work party, a long run, and a birthday celebration with Shoko-san. And on Monday the 18th, I'll be celebrating my actual birthday at my JHS with my students. I'm looking forward to all of it, but I kind of wanted to celebrate by myself first.  After all, I am an introverted extrovert.

When I arrived to Hakata, I decided to walk to Tenjin. It's about a mile. I usually take the subway, but I really wanted a nighttime city walk. You know, something magically therapeutic. 

Before reaching my ultimate destination, I strolled through the Tenjin Christmas Market. The lights were strung to act like a canopy and there seemed to be even more decorations than last year. It was beautiful. 

Afterwards, I stepped across the street and into Louis Vuitton. Every time I'm in the city I window shop and browse through, but this time I was treating myself.  Unfortunately, the first store was out of the Monogram Coin Purse, but they called across the street and put one on hold for me. 

As I walked to the second store, I realized that I had had the conversation with the store attendant all in Japanese. I was so pleased with myself. I've come along way since first arriving to Japan

After another Japanese conversation, I walked out of the 2nd store with my shopping bag in hand.  Happy 25th Birthday to me! 

From there, I took the subway to Ohorikoen. There's a light festival being held at the Fukuoka Castle Ruins that I really wanted to see. [ teamLab: Light Festival in Fukuoka Castle Ruins ] When I got there though, the line to get in was insanely long. Since the show is running until January 28th, I decided that I would pick another time to come back. 

Instead of heading straight back to Hakata, I walked to the Starbucks at Ohorikoen. The park had its own illuminations displayed and they were beautiful. My favorite part was seeing the bridge and gazebo lit up. I ordered a caramel macchiato  and sat for awhile. It was a perfect Christmas evening. Christmas Pop music was playing in the background as I wrote in my journal. Like always, I had some "ah-ha" moments and painful realizations --- Hello, growing pains.

The train ride back was crowded, but I had a seat. The heaters put me right to sleep. Goodnight.

Getting up early this morning was easy because it was day two of my birthday celebration . . . 

- train ride to Hakata
- long run at Ohorikoen
- coffee at Dean & Deluca
- Japanese Conversation Class
- Christmas movies and red wine

Let me just say that my Dean & Deluca coffee was extra special this morning. 

Happy 25th Birthday to me!

Take a look at my weekend . . . 
















XOXO,
M