Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Learning To Tell My Story

Awhile ago, an expat friend of mine had this quote by Nathan W. Morris on their social media account,

"Edit your life frequently and ruthlessly. It's your masterpiece after all." 

After coming across it, I decided that it was time to re-evaluate my social media accounts. I realized that the people I'm meeting now are meeting me at a completely new stage of my life:

Post grad, living and working in southern Japan.

So when I looked at my social media accounts through this new perspective, I decided that a lot needed to change. 

Did they really need to see all of my college pictures, what I wore to prom, or my family vacation from 10 years ago? 

It wasn't easy to do, though. Deleting pictures from Instagram and changing the privacy settings on some Facebook albums made me feel a little guilty. I was unsure if it was really OK for me to make these changes. I felt like I was somehow betraying these new people, my family and friends, acquaintances, and the public in general. 

But when I really thought about it and my reasons for the edits, I realized that I wasn't trying to delete or hide my past in a malicious way. I was actually trying to preserve it and keep it for myself and for the people who are apart of it. I wanted privacy for my past.

Although it was uncomfortable, I made the edits. And once I did, I felt lighter and free.

Now, I edit my social media accounts unapologetically. They're my timeline after all. 
But they are just one aspect of my life's timeline. They are the pictures that add to My Story.

We all have our own story. The story that chronicles how we came to be where we are today. It's our life, told by us. Everyone's story is unique and completely personal. Some people chose to share everything, while others edit theirs and have different versions for different situations. However someone decides to tell their story is completely their choice, just like their social media accounts.

Staying true to this year's theme of growth, I recently had an encounter that challenged me to edit My Story. Early on in the encounter I realized I had to decide what information to share, what to keep to myself, and how I really wanted to answer the potential questions. I was unprepared to say the least. 

This was my first time to have this kind of encounter in my post grad life and it really made me think. I realized that I needed to learn how to tell my story if I wanted to have more encounters like this.

For the past 48 hours, my head has been reeling. I've been drafting lists, making diagrams, and charting out timelines. I'm not going to lie, I've loved every second of it. I was actually a little sad when I found a style that works for me. But not to worry, My Story is dynamic - ever changing - so I'll have countless chances to edit, tweak, and re-work. I can't wait!

Here are the pictures from my last 48 hours which inspired me to write, edit, and share a part of my story. Take a look and you'll find my story at the end . . . 









So if today was the first time we were meeting, My Story would focus on the present and my future plans. As much as I love my family and friends, my college days, and the childhood I was lucky enough to have, I wouldn't be volunteering that kind of information. Those are parts of My Story that aren't told right away. They're the personal parts that I want to hold onto for as long as I can. 
My Story - A Part of It: I'm an American, living in southern Japan and teaching English to junior high school students. In my free time I enjoy running, reading, window shopping, traveling, and good conversation over coffee and wine. I came to Japan because I wanted to challenge myself to live on my own and adapt to a new culture and environment. I also wanted to develop habits that I could carry into my future life. The parts of Japanese culture that I'm interested in are: minimalism, advanced technology - robotics, Japanese food, and the Japanese way of living - respect, spirituality, work ethic, politeness, and purpose. When I return stateside, I'll be looking for a job in the field of business administration. I don't plan on teaching in the states. I'm looking forward to seeing my family and friends, and readjusting to life in the US. As wonderful as it will be to return stateside, I'm planning to re-visit Japan for the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. 
And that's my story. It was so nice to meet you!  
XOXO,
M