Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Truthfully, Merry Christmas!

So here's how I truly feel about Christmas this year  . . . 



Journal Entry: December 25th

Merry Christmas!

This morning is extra special.  It's Christmas. I love every thing about this day. The air is crisp and cool. It's filled with the promise of love and laughter, and smiles and cheer. 

Merry Christmas!

Celebrating +6,000 miles away doesn't feel as foreign as it did last year. Sure, it's different, but it's not quiet. I've been celebrating Christmas since November 1st. I had to remind myself to celebrate Thanksgiving. I've felt the magic of Christmas for longer than usual this year. And that's what's been the best! I feel like I've really done Christmas.

The normal traditions my family & friends celebrate weren't the ones that I did. I did Christmas my own way. I saw illumination multiple times; I watched countless Christmas movies; I snuggled up listening to Christmas music, and braved the cold to feel the Christmas air. And now that it's actually Christmas, I don't feel that sense of loss that I normally do. I feel fulfilled and grateful for the way I spent my time. 

Merry Christmas!

Christmas gifts . . . they were different this year, too. This year, I bought what I wanted as the moments presented themselves. An extra cup of coffee just to have a conversation; an express train ticket; a lifestyle book and makeup.

Merry Christmas!

All of my love for this holiday comes from the fact that I have an amazing support group of family and friends. Without their love and understanding, I wouldn't be able to enjoy spending my time like this. So, thank you all for giving me space, time, and patience as I live abroad. 

And lastly, to Santa. Thank you for your magic touch, true timing, and the sparkle you put in the sky. The bells I heard this year weren't as traditional, but they were more than fitting.

Merry Christmas!

XOXO,
M