Saturday, March 18, 2017

An Afternoon In Kurosaki

Today's Highlight: watching a robot solve a Rubik's Cube in 85.7 seconds.



Shoko-san and I spent the afternoon in Kurosaki. We met at COMCITY and immediately set out to tackle our list of sights to see.  Since the Yahata area was celebrating its 100th Anniversary, the streets were extra festive and buzzing with positive energy.

So here's how we spent our afternoon ... 


As we walked out of COMCITY we passed through Kurosaki Station. There was an area that had been marked off so music performers could play throughout the day. As we were approaching, a Japanese band that played American pop music was getting ready to perform. We found space at the front and waited for them to begin. They played 3 songs and I only recognized one of them, Loco-Motion by Grand Funk Railroad. We both had fun singing along.

... come on baby, do the loco-motion with me ...

Afterwards, she told me that that song is really popular here in Japan. I laughed because I think the last time I heard it was when I was in elementary school.  It's funny to see what parts of American culture are embraced.  


Japanese band covering American pop music


Kurosaki Station


When Shoko-san and I made plans weeks ago to come to the YASKAWA Robot Village, I couldn't contain my excitement. I really like robots. I find them fascinating.  One of my favorite things about Japan is their development and use of robot technology.  Even though I knew that all of the displays would have an English translation, I still wanted to research and learn about what I would be seeing beforehand. I went to the YASKAWA website and found a video that gives an overview of the Robot Village. It gave me all of the information I needed and made me even more excited to tour the place in person. Here's the video ... 

YASKAWA's Robot Village



YASKAWA Electric Co. Ltd., Kitakyushu, Japan


YASKAWA Robot Village - 安川ロボット村


This robotic arm demonstrated the increased mobility that this technology offers. The arm moved fluidity around, through, and over the obstacles in it's path. 


This is a biomedical dual arm robot that can mix medications.


I'm not exactly sure how these robotic pieces function, but the idea is that they will allow people to walk with assistance. The video that accompanied the demonstration showed different types of people in different handicapped circumstances, that were able to use this technology to walk.  In the picture above, the video is showing a father who uses this technology to walk his daughter down the aisle at her wedding. It was very touching.


Interactive Demonstration - play a card game against a robot! I didn't play because there was a line of about 10 kids in front of me, but I watched and cheered them on. The game was a matching challenge --- who can find the matching card first.


This was by far my favorite robot technology. This robot solved Rubik's Cubes. We watched it solve one in about 92 seconds, and another in 85.7 seconds. It was unbelievable!


You know how people gesture and talk with their hands and arms? 
Well these display screens were attached to robotic arms that performed a synchronized show. It was so interesting. I watched the demonstration twice.


This video was showing what our future life with robots could look like.


I absolutely loved everything about YASKAWA's Robot Village. I plan to go back and re-visit all of the displays. I'm such a nerd when it comes to robots.

Visit YASKAWA's website by clicking here.


Once we finished touring the Robot Village, we headed to see a nature trail lined with pine trees. It was one of the most peaceful places I've ever been. We walked the entire course and enjoyed the stillness.


Shoko-san is like me. She doesn't like large crowds or gatherings. One day during our Japanese class she randomly told me that she likes 'quiet places' and that she has her own 'quiet place'. I couldn't help but smile because I feel exactly the same way.



We walked down the streets of Kurosaki and I took note of the many shops, bakery's, and restaurants that I want to try. There seemed to be something every which way I turned.


And as we were walking through the festival vendors, we came across some ninjas. Of course I had to get a picture. 


Ninja Take 1


Ninja Take 2 -- semi succesful


We ended our afternoon by sitting in the lobby of the Hotel Crown Palais.





After we had finished our tea and sweets, Shoko-san helped me write about our day in Japanese.



Today was ideal.