Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Field Trip to Hiraodai


Shoko-san has a friend she's been wanting to introduce me to for a couple of months now. We were finally able to coordinate schedules and take a day trip to Hiraodai.  Hiraodai is a Nature Observation Park located in the north eastern part of Kyushu (Southern Japan). It is one of the three largest areas in Japan that contains limestone deposits.  Shoko-san's friend, Yoshihito, was kind enough to drive us to there since it's difficult to visit by bus. He has a black cube car and acted as our chauffeur for the afternoon. 

Before heading to the see the limestone deposits, we ate lunch at MK. MK is a family style nabe (hot pot, cook at your table) restaurant.  This wasn't my first time to have nabe, but it was my first time to eat a raw egg! The meal was interesting to say the least.

First, I messed up our order and ordered extra spicy broth for the whole table. 
Second, I ordered hot coffee before the meal. 
Third, I still have not learned how to slurp noodles and had a difficult time eating udon.
Fourth, I at a raw egg!

Even with all of that being said, the meal was so enjoyable and we had great conversations.

Totemo Tanoshi! とても楽しい So enjoyable!

After filling our bodies with protein or Macho Food as Yoshihito called it, we headed to Hiraodai. The drive was about 45 minutes so we stopped for coffee & gummy candy before heading up the mountain. 

The drive to the observation point was so scenic. I enjoyed looking out the window and seeing the city from above. We pulled off to the side of the road a couple of times to take pictures. The view was breathtaking. In a way, the scenery reminded me a little of Colorado and parts of West Texas. It was beautiful. The best part was the feeling I got when I looked out across the hills. I felt small, in a good way. It's the same kind of feeling I get when I look at the ocean or at the sky. It puts everything into perspective for me.

Here are the pictures I snapped ...








よしひと と みかえら
Yoshihito & Mikaera 


よしひと と しょこさん
Yoshihito & Shoko-san

- - - 


Today was an extra special adventure. xoxo