Sunday, March 26, 2017

Field Trip to Moji and Wakamatsu

Spring 2017, Kitakyushu, Japan

\

A couple of weeks ago, Shoko-san made reservations for us to take a tour of the Shiranoe Botanical Garden and of the Hibikinada Biotope. Our tour included transporation on a tour bus and a bento picnic lunch.  I had been looking forward to this field trip because it would be my first chance to see cherry blossom trees in full bloom. 

Here's how we spent our day ...




The Shiranoe Botanical Garden is located in the Moji Ward of Kitakyushu.  It's situated on a hill overlooking the Sea of Suo.  The garden attracts visitors for every season. Currently the cherry blossom trees (sakura) are drawing crowds.  I plan on revisiting the garden in the fall to see their maple trees. 


Since we were a part of a group tour (45+), we had our own personal tour guide that walked us through the garden. Even though all the information was spoken in Japanese, I was able to enjoy the scenery and collect information from the signs written in English. I also had Shoko-san tugging at my arm every time she was able to quickly translate an interesting detail for me.

Once the guided tour was completed, we all picked up our bento boxes and separated for our lunch hour. Shoko-san and I found a picnic bench in the Lookout Square and enjoyed our meal. Afterwards, we walked around the garden and made our way to the overlook. The views were  beautiful and we were lucky to have such beautiful weather.







Cherry Blossom Tree (sakura, さくら)


Cherry Blossom Tree (sakura, さくら)



Our tour group had about 45 people, plus our guides.


Bento Box Picnic Lunch


Shoko-san brought a package of strawberries (ichigo) for each of us.




After taking in the sights at the garden, we boarded the tour bus and headed to Hibikinada Biotope which is a nature preserve in the Wakamatsu Ward of Kitakyushu.  Before we walked the grounds of the preseve, we listened to a presentation that explained how the nature preserve was built.

From what I could gather, the nature preserve is man made.  During the presentation they have a diagram showing the original sea line and how the nature preserve stretches beyond it. The creation of land has something to do with a waste landfill. I still have some research to do before I can fully understand what I saw today. 



Once again, our group had a personal tour guide that walked us through the area. We had plenty of time to take pictures, break off into small groups, and explore. We were able to spot some of the endangered birds and insects that inhabit the area. Just like the garden, I plan to re-visit the Biotope. It was so interesting.







Regaining perspective ...

Today I was reminded of how important natural spaces are to me. I enjoy walking through gardens; looking out over lush fields; and seeing natural life around me. I didn't realize how important they were until I thought about how I would feel if they were taken away from me. Today's tour made an impression on me and sparked an interest I didn't think I had.

It also restored my sense of adventure. Spring is here and the weather is getting warmer. I'm coming out of hibernation and I am ready to do some sightseeing. 

Today was ... とても楽しかった!