Thursday, March 9, 2017

Free Time


Not working is bitter sweet. I love having all of this free time. There literally is nothing that I have to do, … except file my taxes. As great as free time is, I’m finding it extremely difficult to self-regulate. I have a schedule and a to-list of things I want to accomplish, but I’m the only one holding myself accountable. There are so many temptations that promote procrastination --- sleeping in, watching Netflix, aimlessly scrolling through social media feeds, PINTEREST ... etc.

I’m not saying that I can’t employ self-discipline, but it is proving to be a challenge.

I’ll be honest, I haven’t stuck to the schedule 100%, but I’m not wasting my days away either.

So here’s what I’ve been up to ...
  • Reading   I’m currently reading a fiction series called The Wedding Pact. I started it because I wanted to curb the amount of time I spent watching Netflix. And it’s working. I haven’t wanted to stream much these past few days because I’ve been engulfed in the drama of the books. I've also decided to link my whole reading list on a page called BOOK CLUB. You can see what's currently on my bookshelf. 
  • Working Out   I’m working out daily and seeing improvements physically and mentally. Right now I’m focusing on building my endurance. I want to get back into running long distances. The treadmill is my best friend and worst enemy. I need to decide on what race I want to run next here in Japan. In November I ran the Mojiko Retro 10K. It was cold & rainy, so I'd like to find something to when the weather is warmer and dry.
  • Studying   I’m studying Japanese. I’m almost confident enough to say that I’ve learned the hiragana characters. For the past two Japanese Classes, I’ve been able to keep my textbook closed and write hiragana characters without looking. Lately, I’ve been able to read the labels of things when I’m shopping. #SmallVictories These are huge accomplishments for me, because I was stubborn in the beginning and didn’t want to even begin learning hiragana at all.   
  • Streaming on Spotify   I’m loving the music I’m streaming on Spotify. Currently I’m listening to: 
Bun Fast (BKAYE Remix) by BKAYE
Matches by Cash Cash
It Ain’t Me by Kygo Featuring Selena Gomez
Magic by Thomas Gold
Don’t Leave by Snakeships
It’s You by Syn Cole


Some things to look forward to ...
  • Field trips around Kyushu with Shoko-san.  We're planning to visit a robot museum, see the cherry blossoms in full bloom, experience a traditional Japanese art, and see the TOTO museum.
  • Updating my wardrobe. Even though it doesn't necessarily feel much warmer, the sun is shining and the days are getting longer. Spring is coming and I'm ready for a change. I've been browsing around online and I've put together a list of the pieces I want. I'm still choosing black over everything else and aiming to only keep a monochromatic wardrobe. I love the concept of a capsule closet. It's so efficient and appeals to the minimalist inside of me.
  • Packing for my trip stateside.