Thursday, March 16, 2017

Japanese Tea Party


On Tuesday afternoon, I met Shoko-san at Yahata Station.  She had arranged for us to attend a Japanese Tea Party with her friends. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I knew we would have a great time. Spending time with Shoko-san is always enjoyable and always an adventure.

The party was being hosted at a traditional style Japanese home in Wakamatsu. Shoko-san and I rode with her friends to the party. We all climbed into a tiny blue cube car. Even though Japanese cars are small, they're surprising roomy inside. The drive was about 30 minutes. Since I normally travel by bus or train, it was enjoyable to sight see out of a car window. I saw a lot more of the local area.

The house was situated on a hill and provided a great view of the city.  Upon entering we all greeted each other and immediately changed into the prepared house slippers. I love the fact that outdoor shoes are not worn inside. 

Next to the dining room was an open space that was decorated with a hinamatsuri display. Along the back wall was a line of traditional Japanese dolls just like the ones I had seen at the Japanese Tea House a couple of weeks ago. There were so many things to look at. 

Through talking with the ladies at the party I found out that everything was handmade by a friend of theirs. Some of the pieces were so intricate and small I couldn't understand how someone had constructed them. I spent so much time "ohhhing" and "awwwing" over the pieces.


Traditional Japanese Wedding Kimono


When I caught sight of the kimono I was immedtatily drawn to it. As I walked closer to look at the pattern and detail, a lady started to pull it from the hanger. She was motioning for me to try it on. I was unsure at first because I didn't want to trouble them, but I couldn't resist. Before I knew it they were wrapping me in the fabric and tying my hair up. I felt like a real life doll. It was so much fun!


After playing dress up it was time for the tea party. We all took our seats at the table and were served green tea. Once everyone's cup was filled we said, "Itadakimasu" and began to fill our plates.


Japanese sweets from top to bottom: senbe, chocolate, sweetpotato


Japanese sweets from left to right: kasutera sponge cake and matcha yokan

We sat together at the table for a couple of hours. We were sipping tea, eating sweets, and having conversations. It was unbelievably enjoyable. Even though my participation in the conversations was limited to mostly listening, I still found it all entertaining. I was ble to use and practice the Japanese that I do know, and the ladies tried their best to use their English. It was a great experience. While spoken information was tough to relay, we were still able to reach understandings and enjoy the act of communication. 

I shared a wonderful afternoon with great company. I am looking forward to when we all meet again. I'm pretty sure I left the tea party agreeing to a "Takoyaki Birthday Celebration"--- octopus pancake balls. A couple of the ladies also have birthday's in December and said that we should celebrate together! I really hope that it happens.


Green tea and local Kitakyushu strawberries

One last thought ...

So I had a conversation with an old friend and they said something that I'd been feeling for a while, but wasn't sure how to express. They said that traveling and meeting people from other cultures and people who have different perspectives has given them a renewed belief in humanity.  I immediately agreed with them and was a little disappointed that I hadn't thought to say it first. They had given me words to explain the reason why I enjoy living in Japan and traveling.  Meeting and being surrounded by people who act with kindness, thoughtfulness, and purpose are the kinds of people who inspire me to be better and do better.