Thursday, March 30, 2017

Sushi Yatai & Slow Resort



On Tuesday, March 28th, I went to Ashiya Beach with Shoko-san and her friends. They picked me up from my apartment and we all rode together. It was about a 30 minute drive in traffic.  We had lunch reservations at Sushi Yatai. It's a local restaurant that is well known for it's perfect view and delicious sushi. We chose to do omakase style. I was so excited to try this kind of dining. The idea is that the chef prepares the sushi for the customers based on what is best on the market at the time.  It was such a neat experience and I didn't take any pictures because the pace of the meal was too quick. 

From our seats at the sushi bar we had a clear view of the chef and his team preparing our sushi, as well as the dark blue ocean. It was breathtaking. And I cannot forget to mention that the restaurant inside multiple connected shipping containers. It was the first thing I noticed when we pulled up. 

I love shipping container buildings!

Our meal consisted of about 13 or 14 pieces of sushi, a seafood miso soup, pickled vegetables, and green tea.  Since we went during the lunch hour the price was less expensive and we each paid about 2,800 yen ($28). I would have easily paid more.

If anyone ever visits me, this is the restaurant that I recommend we try. It has been by far my best dining experience in Japan. A close second is Tobiume, the restaurant was also omakase style.


すし やたい (Sushi Yatai) , Ashiya Beach, Kitakyushu, Japan


Ashiya Beach, Kitakyushu, Japan


Ashiya Beach, Kitakyushu, Japan


Ashiya Beach, Kitakyushu, Japan


Ashiya Beach, Kitakyushu, Japan


After we finished our lunch, we headed to Slow Resort. Slow Resort is a collection of event spaces, garden cafes & restaurants, and a small winery. We had a fun time strolling through the shops and gardens and taking pictures of all the event spaces. It was a quiet afternoon and we had the place mostly to ourselves. There was something interesting around every corner. 

We ended our afternoon with coffee, cake, and soft serve at one of the cafes. 

I'm looking forward to meeting with the ladies again during the summer. Spending time with them is easy. I like their pace and style. 


Slow Resort, Ashiya Beach, Kitakyushu, Japan


Slow Resort, Ashiya Beach, Kitakyushu, Japan


Having fun? Yes!
Are you happy? Yes!


Event Space


Event Space


ワイン (wain)


はな (flower)


うま (horse) & やぎ (goat)


カフエラテ (cafe latte) & ソフト サーブ (soft serve)


いちご (strawberry) roll cake & カフエラテ (cafe latte)